Actions and Detail Panel
Delivering the UN Sustainable Development Goals in the UK
Wed, May 3, 2017, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM BST
Join us for the launch of the Fabian Society's new publication on implementing the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the UK. The pamphlet looks at how the UK performs against the Goals and makes a series of recommendations for government, civil society, businesses and political organisation on how to raise awareness of the Goals and how to organise to create transformational change.
In particular it sets out a 10-point plan for government, draws lessons from successful civil society campaigns to create change in public attitudes, and champions the role young people can play in driving and monitoring change against the Goals.
Almost two years since the adoption of the Goals at the UN General Assembly in September 2015, public awareness is low and Government action to introduce a National Action Plan in the UK has been slow. We are at a time of great potential. Now is the time to turn that potential into action. The SDGs are an ambitious and transformative framework which offer a road map for all countries around the world. They provide a strong framework around which to hold the Government to account and to empower citizens to act as agents of change. As the UK grapples with Brexit, the SDGs can provide a framework to develop the structures and policies that work together to build a more united and prosperous United Kingdom.
The event will be an opportunity to highlight the recommendations made in the report and invite representatives from civil society and business to discuss the implementation of the SDGs in the UK. Specifically we will explore:
- How does the UK perform against the SDGs
- What opportunity do the SDGs present the UK
- What action needs to be taken by Government to ensure a coherent approach to reaching the Goals
- What opportunities are there for civil society, business and political organisations to lead on this agenda.
- Lord McConnell - Chair of the APPG on SDGs
- Jessica Toale - Pamphlet author and international development specialist
- Dominic White - Head of International Development Policy at WWF and Chair of UKSSD
- And more...
The pamphlet is supported by WWF, Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) and the McConnell International Foundation.