Learn how to protect against a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack in just one day. DDoS Defence will educate you on the growing threat and consequences of a DDoS attack. In just one day you'll:
- Understand a DDoS attack, how it's executed and the implications to your business
- Experience demonstrations of DDoS attacks and their effects in real-time
- Learn the tools to detect, analyse and mitigate DDoS attacks
You'll receive 5 free EC-Council CSCU (Certified Secure Computer User) exam vouchers - worth £495 - with every ticket you buy. The CSCU exam is a great way for you to benchmark the IT security knowledge of you and your staff. You can also maintain your IT certification with CPEs earned from at least seven hours of learning.
The real costs of a DDoS attack
The impact of a successful DDoS attack has devastating and long-lasting effects. Having your systems forced offline can cost upwards of £100,000 per hour. After which 52% of your customers will lose trust in your organisation as a result of your systems outage. In the end, the long-term total cost to your business averages out at £1.2 million in damages.
It’s not just small businesses that need to be worried about DDoS. Escalating attack sizes have forced some of the world’s largest websites offline. The BBC, MI5, HSBC and PayPal are all recent victims of successful Denial of Service attacks. PayPal experienced damages of £3.5 million, with 100 workers spending three weeks repairing the damage following the attack.
The problem is only getting worse. DDoS attacks have increased 125% over the past year. Every day more than 2,000 attacks are now observed worldwide by Arbor Networks. Amplified by a 30% increase in attack size, it’s unsurprising that one-third of all system outages are now the direct result of a DDoS attack.
Learn the skills to defend against DDoS attacks, before it’s too late.
Below is a breakdown of what you'll learn. The training will start promptly at 9.00am, with registration open from 8.30am. There will be a break for lunch (which is included in the ticket price) with refreshment breaks throughout the day.
The concepts of DoS: Types of attack and effect
- What is DoS, how easy is it to launch? What does the target see?
Different protocols surrounding DoS attacks
- Common protocols used, including TCP, UDP, HTTP.
Demonstrations of DoS attack tools and their effect
- Using simple widely available tools to launch DoS attacks to highlight the skill levels required .
Using Wireshark as a packet analyser
- Introduction to Wireshark and the basics of using it as a packet analysis tool.
Using Wireshark to analyse a DoS attack
- What packets does a DoS attack create and how to identify/analyse them.
The concepts of DDoS
- Moving from a single source to multiple sources, amplification and reflection.
Botnets and how they are created
- What is a Botnet, how are machines compromised, what makes up a bot.
Command and Control of Botnets, Botnet traffic
- Concept of command and control, protocols and channels used. What traffic identifies a Botnet.
Demonstration of Botnet launching a DDoS attack, controlled from a single source
- Controlling a Botnet using IRC and launching DDoS attacks from a single control point.
Analysis of DDoS attack using Wireshark and log files
- Looking at the differences between DoS and DDoS, identifying source addresses and address spoofing.
Mitigation measures for DoS and DDoS, including services provided and methods used
- Looking at ways of reducing the impact on the target, services provided by ISPs and also preventing secondary victims.
NCA national DDoS strategy
- Briefing on the work being done by Law Enforcement agencies such as NCA and CERT-UK.
Save This Event
When & Where
Firebrand Training is the fastest way to learn. Get your skills and certifications at twice the speed - from technical IT and project management training, to IT apprenticeships