DC CONTAINER # 2! LET'S DO THIS!
PLEASE NOTE: SALES END AT 11:55PM ON THE 'SALES END' DATE. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE UP UNTIL 11:55PM THIS SATURDAY, JULY 27.
We've got a SECOND 53' intermodal container leaving DC headed to the Playa and back. Please review all details BEFORE you sign up for shipping space for your gear, bicycles or other sundry randomness.
Thank you one and all who sounded off on how much you would send if we did a second DC Container!
We are going to go for it on a contingency basis, meaning:
- We are opening up sales of transport for:
- Individual bins (about 5 cubic feet) for $45 + Evite ticket fee. PLEASE NOTE: This is different than the standard ticket for the first container, which was 8 cubic feet for $64, or about 2 bins. We changed it 1) to make it easier for smaller orders to be placed, 2) to better reflect the true size of the bins we recommended, and 3) to better reflect the true cost of transport to us.
- Bike transport for $100 + Evite ticket fee (bikes take a lot of awkward space and are much more difficult to secure. Even this price is a bit of a subsidy but we believe we can get clever about packing bikes. Another advantage to you is that you do not have to disassemble your bike to transport it.)
- Large format (art, structures, anything) transport sold in 5 cubic feet blocks for $40 + Evite ticket fee
- Please use the recommended bins if at all possible. Obviously some things won’t fit in the bins and that is fine, but the bins allow us much more flexibility and reliability in the transport, and it helps keep your gear safe, which is important since we cannot and do not offer guarantees against damage or loss.
- We have a minimum we have to sell (325 bins or equivalent worth of space) to make the 2nd DC Container work. We will be monitoring and adjusting available bike tickets on a daily basis to find the right balance between covering costs (which went up for us this year), space availability, ensuring safe transport of all gear, etc.
- Once we meet the minimum the 2nd DC Container is on and we will announce it!
- If we DO NOT MEET THE MINIMUM, we will make one last appeal and if we don’t meet the minimum, YOU WILL BE REFUNDED FOR THE FACE VALUE OF YOUR TICKET but NOT THE EVITE TICKET FEE (which will only be a few dollars).
This solution is the most fair concept we could come up with, and thank you to those who helped us come up with and develop ideas. We opted for this solution instead of a more traditional crowdfunding model because 1) it would be faster to get a second DC Container funded and paid for (we have to pay for the DC Container in advance of it showing up), 2) if we were not able to fully fund a second container then this would be the easiest way to get everyone refunded the face value of their ticket, and 3) we all share the risk more equally on the second container, at a few dollars per order (DC Container takes on the full risk of the first container by ourselves).
Other than that, everything is the same as the first container, including restrictions and limitations on what you can and cannot take on the container, and that we cannot offer guarantees against loss or damage. That said, please keep in mind we take our gear out on the same container, so you can expect the same care for your own gear.
Sound good? Let’s do this!
Please visit the DC Container page and review all of the instructions, details and restrictions. When you are ready to order, click the big red circle at the top of the page.
Thank you DC-area Burners and let’s make this happen!
The DC Container Crew
ORIGINAL (PREVIOUS) POST:
We have done our best to keep pricing and planning as affordable and simple as possible for a number of reasons. What this means is that the limited options we offer result in a quick and convenient process for the majority of people shipping their gear to and from the Burn. Perfect? No. Realistic in our ability to serve as many as we can? That's our goal and with your reading and unerstanding the instructions on the details page as you guys rocked out last year, all will be fine. We basically had next to zero problems last year because DC Burners , you, worked with us.
We took on this project because it has generally been a challenge for DC and other East Coast camps to represent at Blackrock the way we want. Last year you showed us you will help us make it happen by going with our recommendations and load in / load out support. If your needs fall outside our standard sized 8 cubic feet or bike offerings ( such as art projects, odd shaped materials, etc.) we may still be able to accommodate you depending on space availability. Please contact Charles or Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question not covered in the content on this page. Given the amount of things we have on deck, we may not be able to respond to questions already answered here.
You guys, let's rock this again in 2013!
The DC Container
We are not receiving any guarantees from the shipping vendor and WE THEREFORE CANNOT OFFER ANY GUARANTEES TO YOU about damage or losses. Signing up to use the DC Container is at your own risk.
That said, 1) The shipping vendor that we have choses is the same vendor that handles the New York and Boston Burner containers, and they are quite familiar with why we want all our gear delivered and returned in good condition, and 2) DC not Washington is bringing our own gear on the same container so we have just as much interest personally in the safety of our gear as we already have for yours.
Have questions about DC Container #2 - Sales end Sat. 7.27 at 11:55pm (Please Review 'Event Details')?
Contact DC not Washington