Instructor: Claire Robitaille, PhD, Psychologist
Ce/U's: 6 hrs
Research has long supported the efficacy of skills training interventions for improving the behavioral, social and emotional functioning of individuals. This 6 hour training will explore the many uses of a Skills Training approach. Specific therapeutic techniques and strategies will be presented and practiced. The afternoon session, will expose particpants to Dialectical Behavioral Therapy as a skills based approach. The program components of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy will be presented along with examples of the specific skills associated with DBT. Participants will not be considered to be "trained-in" or “certified” to provide DBT to clients in their respective professional environments as a result of attending this training.
- Understand the history of skills based interventions in behavior therapy.
- Understand the effectiveness of Skills Training Interventions and the treatment populations for which each model is effective.
- Explore the specific skills used to address various mental health issues.
- Understand the history of and fundamental aspects of DBT
- Become familiar with the four primary skills associate with the DBT treatment model.
- Understand the intent and purpose of each of the skills modules used in DBT.
- Identify the clinical problems most responsive to skills training approaches.
- Name and explain the common principles of skills training interventions.
- Describe the mechanisms of change that lead to desirable outcomes when using skills based training interventions.
- Given a case example, demonstrate ability to assess for behavioral deficits and determine an effective format for teaching skills.
- Define and apply the core skills training strategies.
- Differentiate between DBT and other skills training approaches.
- Explain the skills modules used in DBT and identify specific activities relevant to each.
1. Background history and definitions
2. Research evidence for effectiveness of skills training
2. Key prinicples of skills training interventions
3. Mechanisms of change involved in the approach
4. DBT: The treatment model
5: DBT: Core skills
6: Practical application of skills
Participants: Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, and other professionals trained in as mental health providers.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)