Actions and Detail Panel
DataKind and SAS DataDive!
Fri, Apr 28, 2017, 6:30 PM – Sun, Apr 30, 2017, 3:00 PM EDT
Calling on all socially conscious analysts, statisticians, data scientists, coders, hackers, designers, and eager-to-learn do-gooders in the Cary, North Carolina area! A DataDive is coming your way!
We’re thrilled to be hosting a DataDive, April 28-30, and are looking for data pros of all backgrounds to roll up their sleeves and work side by side with experts from SAS to help use data to unravel tough questions and prototype new solutions.
Since 1976, SAS has been a sustainability innovator through environmental, social and economic efforts. From their roots helping farmers analyze agricultural data to finding resources to rebuild a community in Nepal after last year’s earthquake, they've been committed to making a significant, positive difference. As they celebrate their 41st anniversary and 41 years of consecutive growth, they stand firm as a corporate responsibility leader, supporting the planet and people through our practices.
Collaborate and engage with some of the brightest minds in data science, social change and technology as you work with teams to analyze, visualize and mashup fascinating data sets to create real world change.
We believe data has the power to change the world, but only when we all work together. Join us for a data adventure like you've never seen and get ready to make friends, build skills, and help unleash the power of data to serve humanity!
Signed up for the DataDive and wondering what you could do to prepare? Join us for one of our pre-DataDive workshops with leaders from SAS! The three topics are: Best Practices for Machine Learning, Interpretable Machine Learning and Analytics, Optimizing Tier-Wide Bus Stop Assignment for Boston Public Schools. Stay tuned for registration details!
Reminder: SAS is a smoke-free campus. Smoking will not be permitted on site.
SAS Campus, 500 SAS Campus Dr., Cary, NC 27513
April 28-30, 2017
Friday 4/28, 6:30pm-8pm: (Doors are at 6:00pm) Discuss goals for the DataDive and explore the projects!
Saturday 4/29, 9am-9pm: Choose a team and get to work!
Sunday 4/30, 9am-3pm: Put together final presentations and network.
Note: You can attend one or all days.
On Friday, we’ll gather to learn more about the four projects and we'll answer questions related to the project objectives and available data! We'll end with networking and time to connect with Data Ambassadors and other volunteers.
The action will continue on Saturday morning with a deeper dive into the projects explored on Friday. DataDivers will choose which project they'd like to work on and break out into teams. Each team will be led by a Data Ambassador who will help advise on and guide the project throughout the weekend.
Wrapping up on Sunday, we’ll put together final presentations to show the world your work and what you were able to do with data!
OTHER ITEMS OF NOTE FOR THE WEEKEND
- Unlike a hack-a-thon, the goal of the weekend is not (necessarily) to create an app. Instead, it is to work with teams of experts to understand a truly difficult problem through data. You could end up with a visualization, an analysis, some graphs, or even some new datasets by the end of the event.
- There is a Github repository setup to use for sharing code, data, and analyses during the event. This will be our primary resource for capturing everything developed at the DataDive, so please use it for sharing and collaboration. Please note that the data will not be available after the event.
- We do not assign you to a team. We want you to work with the problem and data you feel most passionate about, so come Friday with an open mind and be ready to learn.
- You do not have to stay the entire weekend to participate in the event. We hope that you will find a project you can dig into, but you are always welcome to come and go as you please.
- All skill levels welcome! Just come with your own laptop and get ready to make a difference.
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!