Data Visualization Workshop for Journalists [San Francisco]
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Trulia, Fast Company’s Co.Design, O’Reilly Media and Hacks/Hackers have teamed up to co-host a two-day data visualization workshop for journalists in September simultaneously in New York City and San Francisco. Created in support of the Obama Administration's critical Safety Data Initiative – a historic effort to make government safety data on transportation, crime and consumer products much more accessible— these workshops aim to help data journalists investigate and tell stories fueled by this data.
WHEN: From 6:00PM to 9:00PM on Tuesday, September 4 and Monday, September 10, 2012.
LOCATION: The San Francisco workshop will be held at Trulia's SOMA headquarters.
116 New Montgomery Street, 9th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
- Jo Strang, Co-lead of the Safety Data Initiative, will introduce and provide insight on the Obama Administration’s Safety Data Initiative.
- Sha Hwang, Design Technologist at Trulia will lead the San Francisco workshop.
- Nathaniel Kelso, Design Technologist at Stamen Design
- More speakers to be added soon!
KEY TAKEAWAYS: Designed for both established and emerging journalists, these workshops will provide hands-on instruction on how to understand, source and tell compelling stories using data visualizations.
- The first workshop on September 4 will focus on how to find and understand government data.
- Find out more about the different government data sets on transportation, crime and consumer products that are available through the Obama Administration's Safety Data Initiative
- Learn data-handling basics including introductory analysis techniques and tips for using common government file formats.
- The second workshop on September 10 will provide an overview of useful tools for dealing and visualizing data.
- Building on what was taught in the first workshop, get a deeper dive on how to use data visualization tools.
- Participate in hands-on exercises on how to conceptualize and sketch out visualizations.
REGISTRATION: Class size is limited. There is a $5 fee and registration is required by Friday, August 31.
- To register for the San Francisco workshop, visit: http://datavisworkshop-sf.eventbrite.com
- To register for the New York workshop, visit: http://datavisworkshop-nyc.eventbrite.com