Data Visualization Workshop for Journalists [New York City]
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Trulia, Fast Company’s Co.Design, O’Reilly Media and Hacks/Hackers have teamed up to co-host a two-day data visualization workshop for journalists in September simultaneously in New York City and San Francisco. Created in support of the Obama Administration's critical Safety Data Initiative – a historic effort to make government safety data on transportation, crime and consumer products much more accessible— these workshops aim to help data journalists investigate and tell stories fueled by this data.
WHEN: From 6:00PM to 9:00PM on Tuesday, September 4 and Monday, September 10, 2012.
LOCATION: The New York City workshop will be held at Fast Company's downtown headquarters.
7 World Trade Center
250 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007
- Brian Forde, Senior Advisor to the U.S. CTO on Mobile and Data Innovation, will introduce and provide insight on the Obama Administration's Safety Data Initiative.
- Jon Bruner, Editor-at-Large at O'Reilly Media will lead the New York City workshop.
- Alex Howard, Government 2.0 Correspondent at O'Reilly Media
- More speakers to be added soon!
KEY TAKEAWAYS: Designed for both established and emerging journalists, these workshops will provide hands-on instruction on how to understand, source and tell compelling stories using data visualizations.
- The first workshop on September 4 will focus on how to find and understand government data.
- Find out more about the different government data sets on transportation, crime and consumer products that are available through the Obama Administration's Safety Data Initiative
- Learn data-handling basics including introductory analysis techniques and tips for using common government file formats.
- The second workshop on September 10 will provide an overview of useful tools for dealing and visualizing data.
- Dive deeper into how to use different data visualization tools for effective storytelling, building on what was taught during the first workshop.
- Participate in hands-on exercises on how to conceptualize and sketch out visualizations.
REGISTRATION: Class size is limited. There is a $5 fee and registration is required by Friday, August 31.
- To register for the New York workshop, visit: http://datavisworkshop-nyc.eventbrite.com
- To register for the San Francisco workshop, visit: http://datavisworkshop-sf.eventbrite.com
For any and all questions, please contact Daisy Kong at firstname.lastname@example.org.