DARK DARK DARK // HAWK AND A HACKSAW// PILLARS AND TONGUES - co sponsored by DUKE PERFORMANCES
Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM (EDT)
Durham, United States
Co Sponsored by Duke Performaces: http://dukeperformances.duke.edu/
Dark Dark Dark - A breathless exhalation of pastoral psychedelicism.
Gentle yet seemingly poised on a precipice, the instrumentation fades
in and out of time, punctuated by ghostly moments and pinioned by
glorious, windblown vocals. This is the sound of funeral homes, back
roads, and bedrooms in the early morning.
A Hawk and a Hacksaw - Byzantine, exotic, and lush. This is the sound
of East meeting West, with a distinctly old-world, European feel. This
is the band that gave Beirut his start and helped shape his sound.
They have maintained an even more foreign, mysterious flavor to their
own recordings. Magical.
TINY MIX TAPES: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/hawk-and-hacksaw-cervantine
Pillars and Tongues - Squeezebox and string combine with obscure,
subtle percussion to create an elemental droned-out wash. Drifting,
evocative, and otherworldly, like music from outer space channelled
through familiar instruments.
PITCHFORK REVIEW: http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14016-lay-of-pilgrim-park/
When & Where
The Pinhook has become Durham’s premiere venue for live music, excellent DJ’s, basic chilling, and collaborative creative events. Here’s what we got:
- Weekends of Musical Mayhem- featuring the best bands from The Triangle, North Carolina, and well beyond.
- Weeknight Monthlies like Open Mics, Open Jams, Karaoke, Trivia, and DJ sets.
- THE GREATEST BAR STAFF IN THE UNIVERSE!
- Pool, Tekken, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Backgammon, Scrabble, etc. (and people with whom to play these games)
- CHEAP. DRINKS. $3 Tallboys, $2 PBR, $1.50 Schlitz, $4 Well Drinks Monday-Wednesday.
- Nightly specials – the perfect way to make cheap drinks even cheaper.
- A PATIO OUT BACK! OUR PATIO IS SO AWESOME. I LOVE YOU, PATIO.
But the most important thing we have is YOU. The Pinhook is YOUR place. We believe that communities thrive when there is a public place for their citizens to be themselves, whether on stage or on a barstool, relaxing or rocking out. For Durham and the Triangle, the Pinhook is that place.
You gotta make your own fun in life, but we’re here to help.