Join us as we dive into the art of modern letterpress printing. This is an intro-class where you will learn the basics of letterpress printing by printing your own custom holiday cards.
YOU WILL BE PRINTING
1. 50 Custom Holiday Cards (1-color, folded A2 size or flat A7)
You have the option of choosing a card design from a PDF that we send you or you can submit your own design. If you're a designer you can provide press-ready artwork, additional formatting details & file requirements will be sent to you. If a design is picked from the PDF you will have some options to customize. All customization requests & custom designs must be submitted by November 23rd.
You will be printing on a Vandercook proofing press. There will also be a demonstration of a Heidelberg Windmill in action as we score your cards. The large hydraulic paper cutter will also be used (by us!) to trim down your printed cards.
* If you would like to print 2-colors please let us know when you submit your plate order. There will be an increase in cost based on the size of your 2nd plate & extra time needed to print.
* If you would like to print more than 50 cards please let us know when you submit your plate. We will let you know the increase in cost for the quantity you would like to print.
WHAT WE WILL COVER
- Exploration of materials & 2 different printing presses
- Press set-up & make ready
- The craft of printing + the beauty of letterpress
- A brief overview of letterpress
- Lots of hands on time hand-printing your own cards
- Addressing envelopes + putting the final touches on your work (ex. custom painted envelope liners etc.)
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Custom Photopolymer Plates
- Lots of pretty cotton paper & ink colors
- Pens, paints, and markers for addressing your envelopes
- Envelopes & Liners
- Yummy food + drinks
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
- Your address book & stamps if you'd like to get a head start on addressing your envelopes
- Photos if your template or custom design has a photo frame
- An apron if you want to wear nice clothes (we have a few here too!). Our studio is very clean but we will be working with inks & solvents that aren't very forgiving on clothing.
* This class is limited to 6 people to give everyone enough time on press