San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
We’re excited to announce our annual International Conference, Curiosity, Learning, and Democracy: Best Practices in the Question Formulation Technique (QFT) to be held at the historic Boston Park Plaza July 23-25, 2017.
Work closely with Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana, the creators of the Question Formulation Technique (QFT), and collaborate with educators from around the world to explore the many ways the QFT is stimulating student curiosity, promoting deeper learning, and helping to build the democratic habit of mind of asking questions.
Exciting features of this two-and-a-half-day experience include:
- A Dynamic, Flexible Strategy to Improve Education for All: Year after year, educators demonstrate that the QFT is not static tool; rather it has been and continues to be a robust resource, transformed and improved through the artistry that educators bring to it. Come to learn more about latest developments and applications in the “art” of using the QFT to promote student engagement, and enhance personalized, inquiry-based, project-based, deeper learning on all levels and across all subject areas.
- A Differentiated Professional Learning Experience: Educators new to the QFT leave with a deep understanding of the strategy and the ability to immediately apply and use it with students and colleagues. Experienced practitioners gain new insights and ideas for use of the QFT by collaborating with teachers and Professional Development providers from across the country and beyond. Participants will also have opportunities to share their work and best practices.
- An Active Learning and Working Conference: This conference offers a mix of large group and small group introductory and advanced sessions with an emphasis on hands-on, active learning experiences. Participants choose from a wide range of educator-led workshops and roundtable discussions on topics ranging from “fake news” and media literacy, STEM applications, NGSS standards and the C3 Framework, to educational technology, the QFT in elementary, middle, high school and higher education, and its relevance to social justice and building a practice and culture of democracy.
- Honoring and Featuring Educators as Innovators, Thinkers and Leaders: We see the conference as an opportunity to honor and celebrate your work and the work of the hundreds of thousands of educators worldwide who, on their own initiative and without any mandate or requirement, are using the QFT simply because it helps their students become more curious, creative, and fully engaged learners.
- Strand Dedicated to Best Practices in Professional Development: Connect to a community of experienced QFT practitioners and Professional Development (PD) providers, work with new resources to craft effective PD on the QFT, and learn about how you can serve as a resource on the QFT in your region. New this year, we’re offering a certificate of completion to everyone who participates in this PD strand, Best Practices for Sharing the QFT.
- An Opportunity to Dive into RQI’s New Book Partnering with Parents to Ask The Right Questions. Learn how to use the QFT to build and strengthen school-family partnerships, facilitated by lead author Luz Santana with fellow co-author and professor of government at Suffolk University, Agnes S. Bain.
- Building your Own Shared Interest Networks: Educators tell us that a highlight of RQI conferences is the chance to collaborate with a community of other teachers, librarians, specialists, coordinators, department chairs, coaches, facilitators, and administrators representing every grade level and serving diverse communities across the country. Connect to a vast community of engaged, creative educators who can enhance and support your work and take advantage of ample opportunities to self-organize and create working groups by grade level, content area, or topics of most interest to you.
Here’s what our participants say about attending an RQI professional development event:
“I have enjoyed the climate of this conference. The presenters have fostered a collaborative and warm learning environment, and through this shared experience, I feel confident to bring this effective tool back to my school.” – Theresa Quinby, Natomas Unified School District, CA, RQI 2017 Northern California Conference participant
“It was the single most impactful technique I have come across in my 17 years as a school administrator. We are beginning a new school…and will be utilizing the right question technique as part of our process to put students in control of their learning through the art of questioning.” – District Superintendent, 2016 Learning Forward RQI Pre-Conference participant
RQI is pleased to be coordinating with November Learning to offer this event during the three days before Building Learning Communities 17 (BLC17) conference taking place from July 26-28. For participants interested in attending both conferences, more information on BLC17 can be found here.
As a part of our partnership with BLC17, Park Plaza Hotel rates are available at a discount. Park Plaza Hotel is the official hotel of our conference and the only location offering discounted rates for attendees. To reserve your room, contact Reservations at 1-617-426-2000 or book online. Use promotional code: BLC2017
The following options are available starting Saturday, July 22:
Singles/Doubles – One Bed: $250 Singles/Doubles – Two Beds: $270
Triples – Two Beds: $290 Quads – Two Beds: $310
Suites $475 and up
Hotel Policy: Please do not book a single-occupancy room for multiple guests. You will be charged the double-occupancy rate of $270. Book your reservations by 5pm July 6th and receive complimentary guestroom internet for a daily saving of $12.50.
Parking is available at the Motor Mart Garage for an additional fee. Valet parking is $48.00 for overnight parking and $28.00 for up to eight hours of parking.
We have three options for payment: paying by credit card, paying by check, or paying by invoice. Please include attendee names on all checks and purchase orders.
If paying by credit card, full payment is due upon registration.
If paying by check, payment must be received within 30 days of registration.
If paying by invoice, you must supply a purchase order number within 30 days of registration. We cannot hold spaces without a purchase order.
Cancellation, Transferring Registration, and Waitlist Policy
To cancel your registration, contact us in writing before July 1st to receive a refund less a $25 cancellation fee. After July 1st, no refunds will be issued.
We will accommodate transfers whenever possible.
Space for this conference is limited. If the conference is closed, please contact RQI to be placed on a waitlist.
This is a time in our country and our world, when educators are more important than ever. This conference celebrates the great work being done to stimulate student curiosity, engagement and learning, and honors the key role you play in promoting democratic habits of mind, the most fundamental of which is the ability to ask your own questions.
Space is limited. We don’t want to miss having you with us. Register soon!
We look forward to learning with you this summer!
Save This Event
When & Where
The Right Question Institute
The Right Question Institute aims to strengthen democracy by teaching a strategy that allows anyone, no matter their educational, income, or literacy level, to learn to ask better questions and participate more effectively in decisions.