San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
“We are about to experience the grandest expression of human creativity and economic growth ever seen in the history of human civilization…
Crowdfunding is human will expressed in pure form. A person with a vision becomes a dream funded on a mission. It is the explosive combination of democracy and free market capitalism…
It allows new ideas to get funded and to be free market tested at a lower cost, with less complexity, in less time than ever before. Experimentation has now become possible for millions that were previously excluded from having any chance for their idea to be tried.
I am confident that this simple breakthrough socio-economic tool is about to herald in mankind’s greatest era”
-- Entrepreneur - Howard J. Leonhardt
The Jumpstart our Business Startups (JOBS) Act, signed by President Obama on April 5, 2012, is a bipartisan bill intended to provide start-ups and small businesses with a larger pool of potential investors while loosening regulations for private investment via online crowdfunding portals. The Act’s final regulatory guidelines are due from the SEC by January 2013.
This legislative paradigm shift to crowdfunding has potential to radically expand the capital markets for a wide diversity of business industries ranging from technology to the arts. If Americans shifted just 1% of the $30 trillion they hold in long-term investments to small businesses, it would amount to more than 10 times the venture capital invested in all of 2011.
Texas entrepreneur and angel investor turned crowdfunding documentarian Chris Camillo has partnered with The Crowdfunding Professional Association (CfPA) and Startup Texas (Start-up America Partnership) to host an educational event geared towards Texas startups and investors. Crowdfund Texas: Impact of the JOBS Act on Texas Investors and Start-ups will be held at the Omni Hotel in Austin, TX on January 8, 2013.
The conference will bring Texas investors, start-ups, incubators, accelerators, and academic leaders in entrepreneurship together for a full day of interactive educational sessions from leading crowdfunding industry thought leaders.
This is a unique opportunity to learn and network with crowdfunding industry leaders and legislative representatives who are constructing the future framework for start-up and small business investing. Come learn how you can benefit from the accelerating growth of Texas startups and the 2013 commencement of equity-based crowdfunding.
See CrowdfundTX.com for more details!
When & Where
Texas entrepreneur and angel investor turned crowdfunding documentarian Chris Camillo has partnered with The Crowdfunding Professional Association (CfPA) and Startup Texas (Start-up America Partnership) to host Crowdfund Texas.
Crowd Funding Professional Association (Conference Host)
The goal of the Crowdfunding Professional Association is to facilitate a vibrant, credible and growing crowdfunding community while also advocating for an industry view versus personal interests or a single company perspective. The CfPA unites a broad-based coalition of industry participants to ensure the credible development of the industry, including a commitment to the highest ethical standards. The association’s collaborations and insights will be shared broadly to avoid onerous, stifling bureaucracy that can endanger innovation, idea generation and job creation.
The group’s core principles are designed to achieve the following objectives:
· Establish the highest ethical industry standards to ensure the successful expansion of the crowdfunding industry
· Develop broad crowdfunding training and certification programs to solidify the implementation of necessary ethical standards and practices
· Create ongoing industry trade show summits, symposiums and sub committees to further develop an ecosystem of industry experts, best practices, and leadership and mentoring opportunities
· Represent the industry through media and government relations to ensure major thought leaders understand and have access to the fundamental industry facts and crowdfunding experts and platform leaders
· As a complement to the Crowdfunding Intermediary Regulatory Advocates, the Crowdfunding Professional Association organizing committee will enable the Crowdfunding Intermediary Regulatory Advocates to focus exclusively on collaborations with the SEC. While the Crowdfunding Intermediary Regulatory Advocates will foster the most effective regulatory framework, the Crowdfunding Professional Association Executive Organizing Committee will provide a strategic platform that facilitates collaboration across the industry participantsCreate, support, and enable an active, professional, and dynamically growing global crowdfunding community through advocacy, education, and appropriate oversight.
· Unite a broad-based coalition of participants to ensure credible development of the crowdfunding industry, its methods, and practices.
· Establish the highest levels of ethical industry standards.
· Develop broad-based crowdfunding training and certification programs.
· Create ongoing industry trade associations, symposiums and educational resources.
· Represent the crowdfunding industry in media and government relations.
Start-up Texas / Start-up America Partnership (Conference Host)
The Startup America Partnership is a growing national movement of thousands of funders, experts and resources providing startups access to the corporations, investors, and services they need to grow. Launched at the White House in early 2011, the Partnership brings together startups and local champions from around the country focused on creating successful networks for young, high-growth companies to thrive. AOL co-founder Steve Case chairs the Partnership and the Kauffman and Case Foundations are its founding partners. American Airlines, American Express OPEN, Dell Inc., Intuit Inc., Microsoft and NYSE Euronext are corporate sponsors.
Startup Texas, an affiliate of Start-up America, launched on December 1, 2011.
Entrepreneurs are at the heart of Startup Texas, which is led by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs. Startup Texas connects over 770 entrepreneurs with a statewide network of resources and support, and showcases Texas as an ideal location for high-growth, innovative companies.
Chris Camillo (Conference Host)
Chris Camillo is one of the world’s top ranked self-directed investors and published author of Laughing at Wall Street. Chris is not a stockbroker, financial analysts, or hedge fund manager. And yet in early 2007, in the midst of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, he invested $20,000 in the stock market, and grew it to just over $2 million.
How did he do it? By observing the world around him.
Along with his own keen observations, Chris leverages family, friends, coworkers, and online networks like Facebook and twitter to build what he calls “trend spotting networks.” These networks help Chris identify market trends that lead to winning investments.
Beyond investing, Chris has made a career of bringing new business concepts to market – most recently:
1) eCarList - an 80 employee automotive software and interactive marketing company that was sold in 2011 to publicly traded DealerTrack Inc. for $48mm. Launched in 2006 with 3 employees and $250k start-up capital. (Chris served as the company’s sole investor, Senior Partner, and COO)
2) TrueLinkswear – In just 2 years has evolved from a novel idea to one of the fastest growth golf shoe companies in North America- and in 2012 became the first shoe to run a marathon and win a PGA TOUR event in the same day. Launched in 2010 with $350k of start-up capital and virtually no marketing budget. (As the company’s lead seed round investor, Chris has served as an active adviser to the company’s founders)
Chris’ professional career also includes 9 years in business leadership positions at Research Now (formerly e-Rewards) helping to grow the company from a 10-employee start-up to an 800 employee global leader in Market Research Panel Services. Prior to e-Rewards, Chris helped pioneer the evolution of online car buying at Carsdirect.com, working with the company's founding management team to structure and launch the automotive industry's first 'Direct-to-Consumer' Internet sales platform.
Chris holds a BBA in Finance from Southern Methodist University, and is certified at the Expert Level in Consumer Research by the Marketing Research Association (MRA).
His current endeavor is the production of a documentary film on the crowdfunding movement and it’s impact on American entrepreneurs and investors.