Crowcombe Court was built as a statement of wealth and a house in which to entertain by Thomas Carew. Completed in 1739 by Nathaniel Ireson, who also built Stourhead and Ven House, the style is described as Regional English Baroque and sits between the Queen Anne and Georgian periods. The house was owned by the Carew family descendents until the 1950s and then following a number of incarnations was saved and restored to its former glory over the last 13 years. The Great Hall makes for a grand entrance with fine examples of Italian plasterwork throughout. The Ballroom, remodelled in the 1870s reputedly by Edward Barry, is a riot of Victorian colour and style. The superb marble fireplace is thought to have come from Stowe.
At this event, local historian John Andrews will give an interesting and informative talk on the history of strange events that have happened at Crowcombe Court over the past hundred years.