CQ-Roll Call Group Forum: The Connection Between Animal and Human Health
With more that one thousand diseases recognized in humans and 60% of those diesases classified as zoonotic in nature-or having the ability to move between species, keeping animals healthy has never been more important. This session will explore the crucial connection between animal health and humans.
Discussion topics will include:
• What are the current trends in animals (livestock, pets and in the wild)? From a public health perspective, what's the most troubling trend associated with animal health?
• How are federal agencies protecting consumers from animal-health related diseases? How do producers and veterinarians protect the public from spreading zoonoses between the populations?
• Do veterinarians have the appropriate tools to control and prevent disease in animals? If not, what are the obstacles? Are they scientific, political, technical or structural?
• Is there a connection between human drug resistance and animal antibiotics?
8 am Breakfast reception
8:15 am Welcome Remarks
8:30 am Keynote
- The Honorable Fred Upton (R-Mich.), US House of Representatives
- The Honorable Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.), US House of Representatives
9:15 am Panel:
- Dr. Ron DeHaven, American Veterinary Assocation
- Dr. Bernadette Dunham, Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Dr. Michael Greger, Humane Society International
- Dr. Jennifer Greiner, National Pork Producers Council
- Dr. Scott Hurd, Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine
10:30 am Adjourn
Please arrive early as seating will be limited.
When & Where
CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call provides essential intelligence and grassroots advocacy resources to take action. As the premier source of timely news, objective facts and analysis, and coverage of elections and the politics of legislation, we keep our fingers on the pulse of the legislative process and give our clients the tools they need to maximize their influence. We are the ultimate insider, and our unmatched network of relationships and expertise has powered the productivity of those who rely on us since 1945.