Actions and Detail Panel
Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of US Coast Guard Aux About Boating Safely
Sat, May 20, 2017, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM EDT
This beginner boating class will give you the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification in many states. Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete About Boating Safely.
- Introduction to Boating – Types of power boats; sailboats; outboards; paddle boats; houseboats; different uses of boats; various power boating engines; jet drives; family boating basics.
- Boating Law – Boat registration; boating regulation; hull identification number; required boat safety equipment; operating safely and reporting accidents; protecting the marine environment; Federal boat law; state boating laws; personal watercraft requirements.
- Boat Safety Equipment –Personal flotation devices ("life jackets"); fire extinguishers; sound-producing devices; visual-distress signals; dock lines and rope; first aid kit; anchors and anchor lines; other boating safety equipment.
- Safe Boating – Bow riding; alcohol and drug abuse; entering, loading, and trimming a boat; fueling portable and permanent tanks; steering with a tiller and a wheel; docking, undocking and mooring; knots; filing a float plan; checking equipment, fuel, weather and tides; using charts; choosing and using an anchor; safe PWC handling; general water safety.
- Navigation – The U.S. Aids to Navigation system; types of buoys and beacons; navigation rules (sometimes referred to as right-of-way rules); avoiding collisions; sound signals; PWC "tunnel vision."
- Boating Problems – Hypothermia; boating accidents and rescues; man overboard recovery; capsizing; running aground; river hazards; strainers: emergency radio calls; engine problems; equipment failures; carbon monoxide (CO); other boating and PWC problems.
- Trailering, Storing and Protecting Your Boat – Types of trailers; trailer brakes, lights, hitches, tires, and bearings; loading, balancing, and towing a trailer; towing (and backing) a trailer; boat launching and retrieving; boat storage and theft protection; launching, retrieving and storing a PWC.
- Hunting and Fishing, Water-skiing and River Boating – Carrying hunting gear and weapons in a boat; fishing from a boat; water-skiing safety guidelines and hand signals; water-skiing with a PWC; navigating rivers, and other boating tips.
- We will break for lunch there some local places to eat and fast food places near by.
- This class satisfies the requirement and will result, upon successful completion, in a Florida Boating Safety ID card This card is required for anyone born after Jan 1, 1988 and will be mailed from FWC.
- This class satisfies requirement #1 for FWC violations, Please bring a copy of your citation and paperwork to be completed (if you have it.)
- At the door registration does not accept credit cards. Credit Card processing fees range from $1.00-$3.00 and will be added to registration prices. Early Bird Registation is NOT REFUNDABLE OR TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER CLASS.
- If the class is 4 hours, it repeats the next day. The second class date may be shorter than 4 hours depending on class speed.
- Class may let out earlier than the end time.
- At the door registration is $35