Complying with FLSA - How to Determine Exempt Status & Calculate Overtime Correctly
Thursday, January 24, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM (PST)
Palo Alto, CA
This webinar on employee overtime calculation will help you understand what is “time worked”, exempt versus non-exempt status and how to calculate your employees' overtime correctly so to avoid these costly suits.
Why Should You Attend:
Overtime lawsuits are on the rise. Employees are getting wiser to their rights under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and are realizing that their employers have been incorrectly designating them as exempt and, therefore, have not been paying them overtime they are due. They are also realizing that employers are failing to record “working time” correctly – resulting in significant underpayments to them. Additionally, even if the working time is accurately noted, employers fail to calculate overtime obligations correctly. Even when employers pay overtime that is legally permissible, they may not be using legal methods to cut their overtime liability. Due to the frequent errors on employers’ part, many employees are grouping together to bring class actions or collective actions under the FLSA – making these suits more costly than ever.
Attending this webinar will help you understand what is “time worked”, exempt versus non-exempt status and how to calculate your employees' overtime correctly so to avoid these costly suits.
Areas Covered in The Webinar:
By attending this webinar, you will understand:
- What is actual “time worked” under the FLSA.
- What is meant by “suffered or permitted” to work?
- Exempt versus Nonexempt Status.
- Deductions from exempt pay - avoiding the landmines.
- Hourly versus Salaried Status.
- How to determine FLSA classification of positions.
- Problems with "job creep" and "perception of status"
- How to calculate working time – including travel time, training time, “donning and doffing and others.
- Methods of calculating overtime – salary coefficient, piece rates, blended rates, BELO contracts.
- Employee-employer relationship versus independent contractor status.
- Suggested policies to administer under FLSA.
- Compensatory time off versus pay in lieu of notice.
- What to do when you discover that you have made an error.
When & Where
At ComplianceOnline, we are focused on :
- Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
- Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
- Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
- Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.