Compliance With Regulations Mandating Special Fraud Investigation Units
Tuesday, December 3, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM (PST)
This webinar provides the training required by California and other states for the annual training of integral anti-fraud personnel. It highlights the recognition of the indicators or red flags of insurance fraud; referral of insurance fraud investigations to the special Fraud Investigation Unit (SIU); and the basic investigation of a potentially fraudulent insurance claim.
Why Should You Attend:
Insurance company integral anti-fraud personnel defined as: ““Integral anti-fraud personnel” includes insurer personnel who the insurer has not identified as being directly assigned to its SIU but whose duties may include the processing, investigating, or litigation pertaining to payment or denial of a claim or application for adjudication or claim or application for insurance. The personnel may include claims handlers, underwriters, policy handlers, call center staff within the claims or policy function, legal staff, and other insurer employee classifications that perform similar duties. (Emphasis added.) [California SIU Regulations, Section 2698.30 (k).]” This includes almost every employee and officer of an insurance company.
“Compliance With Regulations Mandating Special Fraud Investigation Units” highlights the evolution of SIU investigations and the training needed for integral anti-fraud personnel to present potential fraud investigations to the SIU.
Areas Covered in the Webinar:
- The Webinar is designed to implement California Code of Regulations,2698, and regulations from states across the United States with similar statutes and regulations.
- Definition of insurance fraud.
- The elements of insurance fraud.
- The purpose of an SIU.
- Case studies of insurance fraud investigations .
- Various types of insurance fraud.
- The red flags of fraud.
- How to recognize fraudulent documents.
Who Will Benefit:
- Insurance adjusters whether employed by insurer or acting as an independent insurance adjuster
- All claims staff personnel from clerks to management
- Insurance claims managers
- Insurance claims supervisors
- Insurance coverage lawyers
- SIU investigators
- Insurance defense counsel
Barry Zalma, Esq., CFE, has practiced law in California for more than 40 years as an insurance coverage and claims handling lawyer. He now limits his practice to service as an insurance consultant and expert witness specializing in insurance coverage, insurance claims handling, insurance bad faith and insurance fraud almost equally, for insurers and policyholders. He also serves as an arbitrator or mediator for insurance related disputes.
He founded Zalma Insurance Consultants in 2001 and serves as its only consultant.
Mr. Zalma recently published the e-books, “Zalma on Insurance Fraud – 2013”; “Zalma on California Claims Regulations – 2013?; “Rescission of Insurance in California – 2013;” “Random Thoughts on Insurance” a collection of posts on this blog; “Zalma on Insurance Fraud – 2012?; “Zalma on Diminution in Value Damages – 2012,”“Zalma on Insurance,” “Heads I Win, Tails You Lose — 2011,” “Arson for Profit” and others that are available at www.zalma.com/zalmabooks.htm.
At ComplianceOnline, we are focused on :
- Enhancing global compliance, creating a world where quality and compliance professionals, regulators, and government agencies come together to help the world comply with the intent and the spirit of laws, policies and mandates, ensuring continuous improvement in global operations, quality & safety.
- Making sure that we are responsible corporate citizens helping our constituents build a more responsible enterprise, one which operates with high quality , under a code of ethics, and with process discipline to ensure greater shareholder returns.
- Keeping things simple and straight forward , so that we all can indeed improve the quality of our processes, our work, our businesses and enhance compliance globally.
- Being inclusive, giving the process experts ( & novices! ), compliance professionals, quality champions, and regulatory agencies a voice so that all of us can contribute and make a difference.