PLEASE SHARE: To watch the 22 speakers from tonight's Compassionate Town Hall: Homelessness in Long Beach event, visit JustinRudd.com/townhall
The Compassionate Town Hall: Homelessness in Long Beach event is being hosted by Justin Rudd and Bay Shore Church and will address homelessness in Long Beach. It will be at Bay Shore Church, 5200 E. The Toledo on Mon., Jan. 30, 7-9 p.m. Doors and info booths (the agencies helping homeless in Long Beach) will be open in the fellowship hall at 6 p.m. and again after the town hall. More than 515 registrants so far.
There will be 22 speakers from agencies in Long Beach to let us all know what we can do to better help those who are homeless and to find out what is being done. Each will speak 5-7 minutes. Before and after the town hall, guests can interact with the speakers and other agencies serving the homeless in our community. Booths will be set up in the church’s fellowship hall and refreshments will be served after the town hall.
For tickets to the event: www.JustinRudd.com/homeless
Attendees are asked to please consider bringing a pack of new socks to the town hall to donate to Justin Rudd's "Sock It to 'Em" sock drive for the homeless. The goal is to collect 14,000 pairs of socks by Jan. 31. MORE: www.JustinRudd.com/socks
Approx. 2,500-3,000 people are homeless in Long Beach.
There are 22 speakers:
• Brian Addison, Writer and advocate
• Steve Be Cotte, Long Beach Area Coalition for the Homeless, Pres.
• Tonya Burns, Children Today, Exec. Dir.
• Teresa Chandler, Long Beach Department of Health & Human Services (LBDHHS), Bureau Manager
• Dave Clark, Bay Shore Church, Senior Pastor
• Johnny Dodson, Long Beach Police Department, Homeless Outreach Officer
• Dixie Dohrmann, Christian Outreach in Action (COA), Exec. Dir.
• Giovanna Ferraro, downtown business owner
• Dave Pilon, Mental Health America, CEO
• David Hendricks, Long Beach Police Department, Deputy Chief
• Arlene Mercer, Urban Community Outreach, Exec. Dir.
• Gail Mutke, St. Luke's Episcopal Church, shower program coordinator
• Dale Neal, Long Beach Rescue Mission; City of Long Beach Homeless Services Advisory Committee, chair
• Paige Pelonis, City Heart, founder
• Suzie Price, City of Long Beach, Councilmember
• Erin Simon, Long Beach Unified School District, Director of Student Support Services and LBUSD Homeless Liaison
• Marjorie Solorzano, Mental Health America, Program Manager of Long Beach Housing and Services
• Brenda Threatt, U.S. Vets - Long Beach, Exec. Dir.
• Tanya Times Witt, Los Angeles County Commission on Aging, commissioner
• Mike DuRee, Long Beach Fire Department, Chief; and their HEART homeless outreach team
• Rashida Crutchfieldedd, School of Social Work, California State University, Long Beach, Assistant Professor
• Donnell Tyler, Beacon For Him
In addition, Councilmembers Lena Gonzales and Jeannine Pearce have registered to attend.
Justin Rudd is looking for more host committee members (see list below) that will commit to show up, promote the event, and who will recruit at least 12 people to attend the town hall. Would you be willing and able to be on the committee? There are no committee meetings.
The town hall will be followed by a meet-and-greet reception.
Can you volunteer to bring some cookies, brownies or chilled water/soda? RSVP to Justin@JustinRudd.com.
MORE: Let's all work together to help those who are struggling with homelessness to get on the path to self-sufficiency. Let's find out how we as citizens can help, how and where we can serve, and how we can better give. We'll gain insight on what is being done, and your ideas will be heard. Learn from area professionals, government agencies and nonprofits. Come ask your questions in a caring and compassionate arena.
Host committee, so far:
Justin Rudd, Dave Clark, Christine Robbins, Rebekah Vitale, Carolyn Hynes,Allison Kripp, Scot Breithaupt Jr., Shelly Stratton, Jacqueline Case, Vanessa Romain, Michelle King, Sarom Hong, Yeggi Kaela Watts,Paige Pelonis, Summer Wells, Maha Darwish, Jeanne Morales, Sheri Zampelli, Matt Kinley, Eboney DestinedforGreatness Pearson, Mark Magdaleno, Rebecca Magdaleno Rankins, Mary Sophiea,Roman Ansari, Adela Kunasz, Christina Colome.
When & Where
Justin's Community Action Team (CAT) promotes social well-being among the general public. As a 501c3 nonprofit corporation governed by a board of directors, contributions to CAT are tax deductible and are used to help produce quality events within our community that benefit children, animals, and the environment.