LEARN about recent education changes • CONNECT and get active with our young people • COLLABORATE with fellow community members • JOIN the network that’s moving the power of community voice
Orleans Public Education Network’s 5th Annual Convening brings together parents, students, teachers and engaged citizens to create a force of community educators that New Orleans schools deserve. Through panel discussions and hard data on what works and why, OPEN seeks to expand residents’ awareness of education reform, engage them in the issues, and amplify their voices in the conversation.
In addition to the community roundtable, you can also catch open panel discussions on:
- Juvenile Justice and the School-to-Prison Pipeline
- Common Core
- Early Childhood
- School Governance
- Jump Start and High School Diploma Changes
Join OPEN for a day of fun and learning as New Orleans unites to support our schools!
What Are Community Educators?
Members of the community who are committed to ensuring public resources are used to support the holistic development of the city’s children. Their engagement with other adults provides space for reflective practice, and their engagement with young people provides safe spaces and direct supports to encourage their safety, health and learning.
A solution-oriented frame of reference
What is required to be changed in the system?
What can we do in the village?
What Are Community Educator Action Groups?
When Community Educators bond together, they can:
• Increase community awareness of key issues in public education
• See their narrative, experience and skills as valuable to the rest of the community
• Surface community agency/power to influence the issues that most impact their lives adn the lives of youth in our community
• Strengthen community-based support systems for youth