Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM - Sunday, February 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM (EST)
New York, NY
#CodeAcrossNYC 2014 is a two day prototype-athon taking NYC’s open government data and making it useful for NY City Council, their staff, and NYC’s Community Boards. In partnership with the Manhattan Borough President’s office, several City Council members and Community Boards, now is the time to make NYC's open data useful for all.
“Code Across” is an international weekend of action in partnership with International Data Day and Code for America.
Since 2009, NYC’s government has challenged communities to use thousands of its datasets. With the signing of the City’s transformative open data law in 2012, these datasets have been pouring out of NYC agencies. Painfully, City Council members AND local Community Boards who NEED this data find it difficult to comprehend.
Cue NYC’s civic hackers - developers, designers, mapmakers, data wranglers, urban planners, and content editors!
For Technical Teams:
We will focus on the following data realms: NYC 311, Crime and Public Safety Data, Land Use, Transportation, and School Data. At the end of these two days, we will have built tools to move NYC beyond data transparency.
For Non-technical Teams:
For non-technical participants, we will host an write-athon documenting tech tools and datasets relevant to governing NYC, and produce a tool that will teach City Council members, their staff, and Community Board members how to use open data.
Prizes will be awarded to the best prototypes.
Best Overall Civic App
Most Creative Use of Open Data
Best Visualization of NYC Open Data
Best User Experience
Best City Council/Community Board App
- Best Citizen Engagement App
Desired Outcomes for Code Across NYC 2014:
- Create tools that help city council members and community boards understand the City’s open data.
- Prototype tools and dashboards for NY City Council and their staff.
- Prototype tools and dashboards for NYC Community Boards.
- Expose NYC’s civic hacker community to City Council Members, Council Staff, Community Board Members, and NYPD Precinct Community Councils.
- To sponsor the event email < CodeAcrossNYC@betaNYC.us >
About Code Across:
Spurred by Int’l Data Day and Code for America. Code Across invigorates communities to activate their local civic technology network and collaborate with their neighbors.
When & Where
BetaNYC is a 21st century civic organization that envisions a New York City powered by the people, for the people, for the 21st century.
We are a not-for-profit organization that uses advocacy, data, and curriculum to improve municipal governance and empower individuals to make an impact.
* We demystify government policies and practices, and work to improve policy.
* We empower individuals and organizations with usable government information and data.
* We explore the future by building government technology prototypes for elected officials, their staff, community councils, the general government worker, and the average individual.
BetaNYC advocates for a participatory permaculture where open data, community empowerment, participatory government, and education coexist in advance of each other.