Actions and Detail Panel
Code of Life Middle School Biotech Camp, June 5-9, 2017
Mon, Jun 5, 2017, 1:00 PM – Fri, Jun 9, 2017, 4:00 PM CDT
The HudsonAlpha Educational Outreach team provides several weeks of summer Biotechnology Camps for middle school students. These half-day camps, housed within the educational spaces at HudsonAlpha, are available to rising 6th through 9th grade students.
The Code of Life (Basic) Middle School Biotech Camp
will be held June 5-9, 2017 from 1:00 pm-4:00 pm daily
This Code of Life camp focuses on DNA. Young scientists begin the week by extracting DNA from a variety of organisms and end the week with a little genetic engineering. Campers learn how the information coded in DNA controls physical traits and investigate how changes in DNA may cause the symptoms of some genetic disorders. Students tour the HudsonAlpha facilities and meet with HA staff. The Code of Life Campers also investigate the many roles of enzymes in living systems. Throughout the camp, students use the equipment found in most science research labs and gain hands-on experience in micropipetting and centrifuging. The culminating experiment has campers creating glow-in-the-dark bacteria.
Registration will close May 5th, or once we reach capacity.
Eligibility and Tuition:
- Eligible to rising 6th-9th graders
- $150 tuition is due in full upon registration. Tuition also includes a daily snack and a t-shirt.
- For needed cancellations, a full refund of $150 will be given until May 5th.
- After May 5th, a $75 refund will be given up until May 22nd.
- After May 22nd, no refunds will be given for cancellations.