Coastal Cleanup Day (LA County)
Saturday, September 15, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM (PDT)
California Coastal Cleanup Day is Saturday, September 15, and Los Angeles County has over 50 Coastal Cleanup Day sites to choose from.
· Group Leaders – Only the group leader needs to register online. Volunteers must be 13 years old or accompanied by an adult. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a liability waiver form signed by a parent or legal guardian in order to participate. Make sure to indicate how many volunteers you expect to bring to the event.
· All Volunteers – Must sign a liability waiver form. Volunteers must be 13 years old or accompanied by an adult. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a liability waiver form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate.
· Supplies – Cleanup materials will be provided. Disposable trash bags, non-latex gloves and data cards with pencils will be available at all sites (except at Zero Waste sites).
· Bring Your Own – Use reusable supplies! You can help reduce the amount of plastic trash we create at the cleanup by bringing your own reusable bucket and garden gloves from home (optional).
· Zero Waste – Make your Coastal Cleanup Day zero waste. We are working hard to reduce the amount of trash created on Coastal Cleanup Day. Join us at a Zero Waste Site and take the challenge!
· CODE RED SITES – Willing to get dirty? You can help make a big difference at CODE RED SITES. These are cleanup locations that really need tons of people, strong muscles and hard working volunteers to make a visible impact at that site due to the amounts of trash present.
THE FOLLOWING SITES ARE PART OF LA COUNTY COASTAL CLEANUP DAY, BUT HAVE SEPARATE WEBSITES:
· KAYAK –You MUST pre-register to participate at the Kayak site.
To sign up, go to www.santamonicabay.org.
· Long Beach – For more information about any of the Long Beach sites on our map, go to: http://www.longbeach.gov/naturecenter/california_coastal_clean_up.asp
For more information, visit healthebay.org/ccd.
Heal the Bay
Heal the Bay is a nonprofit environmental organization making Southern California coastal waters and watersheds, including Santa Monica Bay, safe, healthy and clean. We use science, education, community action and advocacy to pursue our mission.
Santa Monica Parking
Tower 27/Ocean Park: There are only 100 free passes available for the lot south of Ocean Park. They will be given out on a first come first served basis. Once the passes are gone full parking rates apply.
Tower 20/Bay Street: There are only 200 free passes available for the lot at Bicknell. You must enter this lot coming south on Ocean Ave. You cannot cross Ocean Ave on Bicknell. They will be given out on a first come first served basis. Once the passes are gone full parking rates apply.
Tower 1550/ North of the Pier: Free Parking with Coastal Cleanup Day Flyer.
Please carpool or take public transportation!
For other parking options please visit the City of Santa Monica's website.
The first 100 people who come to the cleanup site at Bay Street/Tower 20 in Santa Monica will earn a free ticket for the afternoon Jazz for the Environment concert at EarthFest L.A. 2012. Concert starts at 2pm at West Los Angeles College.
The concert will offer smooth jazz, and R&B from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The concert is headlined by double Grammy Award-winning smooth jazz legend, guitarist Paul Brown; chart topping contemporary jazz musician Darren Rahn, vocalist Wendy Moten; jazz fusion band DW3; and Motown-influenced singer/songwriter Chris Lightfoot.
Special thanks to California Greenworks andThe Water Replenishment District of Southern California for underwriting this ticket give-a-way.
Zuma Beach cleanup location has been changed to Point Dume Beach. Take Westward Beach Road all the way to the end of the parking lot. Registration table will be at the last Lifeguard station near Point Dume State Beach, Tower 1. For any questions about this site, please contact site captain Jeff Hall: email@example.com