Actions and Detail Panel
Clinical Lactation Practicum in Houston
Wed, Sep 13, 2017, 7:30 AM – Thu, Sep 14, 2017, 4:30 PM CDT
The Clinical Lactation Practicum (CLP) focuses on increasing the health care professional’s knowledge of lactation problems and methods of intervention. The CLP provides an opportunity for direct observation, instruction, and hands-on demonstration of breastfeeding support and counseling. Students shadow experienced hospital and clinic-based International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC).
The Practicum is a 2-day course. The first day will be observation at a local hospital, observing an IBCLC. The second day is at the Lactation Foundation, observing and practicing hands-on assistance with clients. Students not currently employed by a Texas WIC agency will need to provide proof of immunizations and may also be required to complete patient safety modules in advance to comply with the hosting hospital’s policy regarding patient safety and liability.
The Lactation Foundation will contact students directly with agenda, dress code, and other important information.
The Practicum is limited to 2 students per date with specific dates for degreed and non-degreed students. Degreed professionals include degreed, licensed, and board certified professionals such as physicians, nurses, dietitians, nutritionists, and IBCLCs. Non-degreed para-professionals include Peer Counselors, La Leche League Leaders, WIC Certifying Specialists, Doulas, etc.
Please refer to this list prior to registering for a class:
2017 DATES FOR DEGREED STUDENTS
- March 29-30; May 10-11; May 17-18; July 12-13; September 13-14; September 27-28
2017 DATES FOR NON-DEGREED STUDENTS
- April 5-6; April 19-20; August 9-10; August 30-31
- Students must have successfully completed Principles of Lactation Management (POLM) and Lactation Counseling and Problem Solving (LCAPS) trainings no more than 5 years prior to attending.
- IBCLCs interested in attending a CLP rotation are exempt from these training pre-requisite courses.
* Students may register for the CLP prior to completing the pre-requisites as long as both trainings have been completed prior to their CLP date.
Continuing Education Credit
You must attend the entire course in order to receive continuing education contact hours. No partial credit will be given. Individuals missing any portion of either day, arriving late or leaving early will not be eligible for contact hours or a certificate of attendance.
13.0 L‐CERPs and 1.0 R-CERP recognised by IBLCE. 14 instructional hours in topics on the IBLCE Exam Blueprint. IBLCE Provider Approval Number CLT113-15.