Join the fun at Evanston's First Codeathon!
Content managment is making its way to the City of Evanston and we need your help to move the exisitng website into its new home. With a wide range of project options, there's something fun and challenging available for everyone!
What is a codeathon?
It is a day long event where we work together to create and finish web projects to solve a problem or enhance a service. FREE FOOD & DRINKS! GREAT SCHWAG FOR ALL!
How does this work?
1) We recruit programmers, designers & computer users of all levels
2) We gather for a day to help create the next great version of the City of Evanston website. By having many people work together to compelete mini-projects we can accomplish a lot in a short time.
The spirit behind codethons requires that projects be open source, universal and for a non-profit organization. For more information, check out www.cityofevanston.org/codeathon
or watch the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDORj0syyE
Project options include:
- Creating calendar events
- Copying news stories from the old site to new
- Copying content and pages from existing web site to new website
- Creating navigation structure & new web pages
- Coding interactive modules
- Migrating the City Blog
- Creating redirects and custom 404 pages
- Designing graphics and banner ads
- Implement your own idea for an awesome new website feature
- 9:30 am - Arrive, mingle, meet and greet, marvel at the awesomeness of your goodie bag
- 9:50 am - Choose projects
- 10 am - Start coding, copying, pasting, designing, & creating
- 12:30 pm - Lunch break
- 1:00 pm - More coding, copying, pasting, designing & creating
- 3 pm - Bid farewell and officially put your stamp on the new City of Evanston website
Bring your own digital photos of Evanston to put on the new website! (must not be copywritten)