Currently representing nearly 30,000 educators and Chicago Public Schools (CPS) personnel, the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) is the third largest local union in Illinois. In 2010 Karen Lewis was elected head of CTU; with this shift in management came a new, grassroots organizing campaign, a strong stance against the privatization of education, and tense negotiations with the city regarding teacher layoffs and funding for various high schools.
As recently as 2012, the CTU voted to strike after failed negotiations with the city over a number of issues. Just this February, CTU has called on CPS head Claypool to step down following disputes over school funding, teacher layoffs, and privatization efforts.
Join the IOP’s Chicago Style Committee to discuss the policy goals of the CTU as well as the implications of Trump’s administration on the landscape of public education with the CTU’s Political and Legislative Director, Stacy Davis Gates.
This event is open to the public and off-the-record. Dinner will be provided.
About Chicago Style: The Chicago Style Committee provides UChicago students, faculty, and affiliates with the opportunity to hear from prominent Chicago-based academic, civic, political, and artistic leaders in a meaningful, off-the-record conversation about issues affecting the city
- This event is free and open to UChicago students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Registration is required. However, seating is limited on a first come, first serve basis; capacity in the IOP Living Room is 45.
- This event is off the record and closed to press.
- Doors will open 30 minutes before the event begins. Any unclaimed seats will be released 10 minutes before the event begins. Please arrive early to claim your seat. If you can no longer attend, please cancel your ticket order on Eventbrite so others may register.
- This venue is physically accessible and has gender-neutral restrooms. Please contact the Institute of Politics at email@example.com or 773-834-4671 with any questions or accommodation requests.
- To add this event to your calendar, see the "When & Where" box at the upper right, click "Add to my calendar," and choose among the options (Outlook, Google, iCal, Yahoo).