Actions and Detail Panel
Chicago Style Presents: Social Services and the Illinois Budget
Mon, April 24, 2017, 6:00 PM – 7:15 PM CDT
Since Governor Rauner took office in 2015, there has been continuing tension between his administration and the Democratically controlled Illinois Legislature centered around budget negotiations. One of the primary sites of partisan gridlock is the issue of how the state plans to pay for social service programs that impact thousands of people in Chicago and across the state. Political and social leaders and organizers at every level of government and service have been affected by the ongoing budget crisis and the uncertainty it brings.
Join the IOP’s Chicago Style Committee as it hosts Illinois State Senator Heather Steans (IL-7) to discuss the Illinois budget crisis as well as the implications of the upcoming gubernatorial election on the landscape of social services in in Chicago and Illinois at large.
This event is open to the public and off-the-record. Dinner will be provided.
About Chicago Style: The Chicago Style Committee provides UChicago students, faculty, and affiliates with the opportunity to hear from prominent Chicago-based academic, civic, political, and artistic leaders in a meaningful, off-the-record conversation about issues affecting the city
- This event is free and open to UChicago students, faculty, staff and the public.
- Registration is required. However, seating is limited on a first come, first serve basis; capacity in the IOP Living Room is 45.
- This event is off the record and closed to press.
- Doors will open 30 minutes before the event begins. Any unclaimed seats will be released 10 minutes before the event begins. Please arrive early to claim your seat. If you can no longer attend, please cancel your ticket order on Eventbrite so others may register.
- This venue is physically accessible and has gender-neutral restrooms. Please contact the Institute of Politics at email@example.com or 773-834-4671 with any questions or accommodation requests.
- To add this event to your calendar, see the "When & Where" box at the upper right, click "Add to my calendar," and choose among the options (Outlook, Google, iCal, Yahoo).