Actions and Detail Panel
Chemical Engineering: Go with the Flow
Sat 25 March 2017, 10:00 – 15:00 GST
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences
“Go with the Flow”
Chemical Engineering is all about change – transforming raw materials into valuable and desirable products, creating durable services and the know-how for a sustainable future.
The way materials move is a crucial property that Chemical Engineers need to know in order to create the chemical processes that make the products we use every day. This workshop will introduce you to some simple examples demonstrating the varied and challenging aspects of this branch of engineering.
To do this we have to consider the mathematics, chemistry, biology and physics behind the materials we are dealing with. You’ll actually be familiar with more chemical engineering than you think:
- Some of you may drive – how does the fuel get to the petrol station?
- Most of you will have CD players or mobile phones– how do we manufacture the microelectronic materials?
- All of you eat and drink! – how does instant coffee become instant, tomato ketchup make the jump from tomatoes to ketchup, cocoa beans become chocolate buttons?
- And how do we do all of this in a sustainable manner that doesn’t affect our environment?
All of the everyday products mentioned above have gone through a number of chemical engineering processes to get from the original idea to the marketplace.
This workshop is focussed on product development at the laboratory-scale and plant design development used for pilot-scale. Have you realized about the properties of materials that define the flow – out of bottles, along pipelines and through chemical processes. Have you thought why toothpaste doesn’t run out the tube, or hair-gel out of the container? What about kitchen cleaners – how do they squirt out of the bottle, but not run off the work surface? Yet they all have to be fluid enough when we use them!
- All students in grade 11, 12 & 13 intending to join University in September 2017
- Students must bring ID cards to the event.
- Day & Date - Saturday 25th March
- Time – 10:00 – 15:00
- Venue – Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
For any more information, please contact the recruitment and admissions office on +971 4 435 8700/01 or email@example.com