During this interactive, dynamic two-day course, your instructor Jason Tanner will share proven, real-world experiences and techniques for implementing Scrum and show you how you can be successful with Scrum. Through short, focused lectures that examine each piece of the Scrum framework, the class will engage in several small group activities to reinforce each topic and maximize your understanding and retention of Scrum.
You will learn from Jason's experiences, and the experiences of other attendees, what works and what does not work with Scrum. Throughout the course, you will learn several Innovation Games® to increase your effectiveness with Scrum. Further, you will have a blast learning as there is absolutely NO PowerPoint in this class.
The learning objectives for this course are:
- Apply the values of Scrum.
- Describe each piece of the Scrum framework, its' purpose and interaction with the other pieces of the framework.
- Explain the rights, responsibilities and interactions of each role in Scrum: Team Member, Product Owner and ScrumMaster.
- Describe how Stakeholders interact with the Scrum Team.
- Identify the main obstacles to using Scrum and the challenges for sustaining Scrum in your organization.
- Practice applying ScrumMaster skills and thinking to solve day-to-day issues and challenges.
- Watch Scrum in action as the framework of Scrum will be used to deliver the course material.
- Draw a diagram describing the Scrum framework, highlighting all meetings, roles and artifacts.
What you will receive from this course:
- A detailed student workbook full of custom exercises, activities and course summaries that capture the essential points you need to learn and comprehend to pass the Certified ScrumMaster assessment.
- Documented Scrum case studies explaining how Scrum was used to create successful outcomes and improved teams.
- A reading list of great books to jump start your continuing education on topics such as how to do Scrum better, scaling Scrum, distributed Scrum, estimating and planning, Lean Thinking, facilitation, collaboration, communication and other essential topics.
- Thought-provoking articles related to the role of ScrumMaster, the challenges associated with doing Scrum, identifying waste in your business, the Agile Manifesto, how Scrum was used to rescue a troubled project and facilitating change.
- A forty-five minute, personalized question and answer session with a Scrum expert at the conclusion of the first day to answer your specific questions about Scrum and how to get started in your company.
- Two-year membership with the Scrum Alliance providing access to additional articles, case studies and templates authored by other Scrum practioners like yourself along with discounts to Scrum events and conferences.
Who should attend:
Any person who is interested in learning more about Scrum or wants to make Scrum work better for their Team or organization, is encouraged to attend. While the focus of the class is for people who want to learn how to leverage the Scrum framework to bring about change, any member of the Team or the organization who is interested in how to use Scrum would find this class useful. Typical attendees in the past have been functional managers, Team leads, analysts, architects, engineers, software developers, directors, testers and other roles that support product development.
Scrum Alliance CSP (Certified Scrum Professional) credit
This course also allows students to claim 14 Scrum Education Units (SEUs) toward the Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) designation.
In order to receive a refund of your tuition for this class you must notify us no later than 5 business days prior to the class start date. Cancellation requests received after the 5 business day window will be issued a credit that can be applied towards a future class.
Certified ScrumMaster® Test
You will become a Certified ScrumMaster® once you pass the CSM test. After you receive your welcome email, you have two opportunities within 90 days to pass the test at no cost. After up to two attempts within 90 days, there’s a $25 charge for each additional attempt.
The questions on the CSM test are based on the CSM Content Outline Learning Objectives established for this course. You may also want to refer to the Agile Atlas, not only for the test but also as you apply Scrum every day.
You must answer 24 of the 35 multiple choice questions correctly to pass. Plan to spend about an hour on the test, although you don’t need to take it all at one time. You can stop and restart as many times as you need. You can also skip, go back, and bookmark questions to review later. If you have any unanswered questions, you’ll see a warning message when you click “submit.” Once you submit your answers, your test results will immediately appear on your screen.
It's an open book, online test and needs to be completed within 30 days of completion of the class.
Jason is the CEO of Applied Frameworks, a product management consulting firm. His passion is coaching people in organizations to develop products that customers love.
Jason mentors, teaches, facilitates and sometimes does the work to identify and apply the optimal frameworks for given situations. Lately he’s been focused on very large scale Agile adoptions and overcoming all of the obstacles thousands of people encounter when their world of work shifts.
Jason’s experience spans product management and marketing, business planning, partner management, project management and leadership. He believes that his attraction to Agile is based on over 9 years of service as a Marine officer.
He received an engineering degree from Cornell and a MBA from Duke. Jason is a Certified Scrum Trainer, SAFe Program Consultant and Innovation Games Qualified Instructor. When he’s not working, he likes to exercise, read and watch his two kids play sports.
Save This Event
When & Where
Applied Frameworks, Inc.
Applied Frameworks focuses on delivering the Right Product to the Right Market at the Right Time with the Right Process.