Why this specific workshop?
That's easy: This is a unique, simulation and exercise based workshop rather than death by PowerPoint. Most attendees notice these differences from other courses they have taken:
- No boredom: fewer than 50 PowerPoint slides are used during the two days (and most of those are a picture and a few words!)
- Learn by doing: there are approximately 20 different exercises and simulations used during the workshop
- High knowledge retention: Using accelerated learning techniques the workshop material is presented in ways designed to maximize learning AND retention
- Whys before hows: workshop explores the principles and values which drive success before getting into successful practices - which allows attendees to understand the practices at a much deeper level
- Fun: every part of the course is designed to keep attendees engaged and having fun while learning the material
Add all this up and this workshop is one you shouldn't miss.
Upon completing the course attendees will receive an email instructing them to set up a profile on the Scrum Alliance website and optionally take a short CSM exam. Upon completion of those items a participant will be recognized as a Certified Scrum Master (CSM) by the Scrum Alliance.
You will learn more than the basic Scrum framework. You will also leave understanding the underlying principles, basic practices and common techniques ScrumMasters (and others - see Who Should Attend below) need to know to help their teams achieve project success in a fast-changing world. The workshop covers all of the basics of Scrum as well as a significant amount of material devoted specifically to the skills necessary to become an excellent ScrumMaster. Facilitation, coaching and conflict management skills will be explored. Leadership and being a change agent will also be topics covered during the workshop.
At the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- describe the Scrum framework to others
- roles and responsibilities
- use of each artifact
- purpose of each meeting/ceremony
- explain the difference between the Scrum framework and other methods
- compare with waterfall
- compare ScrumMaster role with traditional roles
- compare the Scrum product backlog with traditional requirements
- be a successful ScrumMaster for a Scrum team
- facilitate each type of Scrum meeting
- know how to detect and correct potential impediments to Scrum success
- help a team adopt Scrum or improve their use of Scrum
- have difficult conversations about process, structures and values
- use several different conflict resolution techniques
- help a Scrum team plan successfully
- plan a release
- plan a sprint
- use different estimating techniques
- create/maintain a prioritized product backlog
- create a personal plan for the future
- list 3 immediate action items for personal change
- pass the Scrum Alliance CSM test
- become a Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) one year after becoming a CSM
Scrum history, principles and values - Basic Scrum background as well as the principles and values which help ensure success when using Scrum.
Scrum theory - The three legs of Scrum theory: transparency, inspection and adaptation are examined in detail.
Scrum framework basics - The meetings, artifacts and roles which make up the Scrum process.
Scrum practices - Estimation, planning and other practices which are commonly used in Scrum.
Scrum leadership - What is it and why is it important for a ScrumMaster?
Coaching and facilitation - Coaching scenarios and facilitation techniques commonly used by ScrumMasters.
Conflict resolution and building trust - Helpful hints and techniques for building strong teams even when conflict is rampant.
Stretching Scrum - Scaling, use of distributed teams and other topics as required by the attendees' situations.
Plus You Get All This:
- High quality training based on accelerated learning techniques for better retention
- Continental breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks
- A USB drive containing a PDF of the course materials and other useful Scrum related content
- Scrum Alliance certification included in price
- A two-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, a $50 value
- A printed and bound copy of the course materials
- Eligible for Agile For All client contests for one full year (we give away awesome prizes several times per year)
- Eligible for $200 discount on future Agile For All workshops (including $200 off of early bird prices!)
Who Should Attend
Do you work in an organization which creates any sort of product? If so, then you are a candidate for this course!
The course is primarily designed for people who will be placed in the role of ScrumMaster. However, because the course gives a great foundation in Scrum and the people skills necessary to make Scrum successful anyone who wants to help their organization be successful is encouraged to attend.
If you are in any of these roles and your organization could use Scrum to create products then consider yourself one of those "who should attend!"
- Business Analysts
- Documentation Specialists
- Marketing People
- Product Managers
- Project Managers
- Team Members
- Sales People
- Operations and Support
- Technical Writers
The list is lengthy because a good knowledge of Scrum and associated people skills needed for success can be helpful to everyone in an organization.
Not everyone wants to become a Certified ScrumMaster and that's ok! You can opt out of the certification by telling the instructor ahead of time, or you can simply choose to ignore the messages sent by the Scrum Alliance after the course has been completed.
However, if you want to become a Certified ScrumMaster you can do so by passing a short certification exam after the course. Simple as that!
This workshop will be facilitated by Bob Hartman (www.agilebob.com), one of only a few people who is both a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer and Certified Scrum Coach. Bob has extensive experience in both training and coaching Scrum teams at organizations including HP, Pearson Education, Starz Entertainment Network, Western Union, Weyerhaeuser, Siemens, Arapahoe County and the University of Iowa. He draws on this broad experience to help attendees leave the workshop with the confidence they can start a project right away. If you are already on a Scrum team you will leave knowing how to do it well and how to help your team achieve a higher level of success.
Don't see a date or location which works for you? Have a team which needs to be trained? Want training to come to you? Don't sweat it! Agile For All does onsite training workshops at reasonable prices. Contact us at 1-303-766-0917 or via email at email@example.com to see what we can arrange to meet your needs.
Everyone who signs up under the early-bird pricing is eligible for a drawing for an iPod Touch to be given away at the end of the course!!!
Professional Development Units (PDUs)
PMPs: You can receive 14 PDUs for this course.
Need to convince someone else?
Download a PDF brochure you can send to others.
When & Where
Agile For All
Agile For All is an Agile and Scrum consulting firm dedicated to Making Agile a Reality®.
We guide companies through the nuances and challenges required to adopt Agile successfully. We provide clients with a seamless integrated experience across Agile techniques, principles and values, drawing from processes such as Scrum and XP, Kanban, Lean Thinking, Theory of Constraints, psychology, anthropology, and more.
Our documented history demonstrates that Agile effectively delivers measurable business value. We’ve helped clients develop high quality software, fast time to market, happy employees and customers, solid ROI and one-of-a-kind transformation through the adoption of Agile continuous improvement practices.