COME WINDOW-HOPPING WITH OUT PROFESSIONALS ON A SPECIAL HOLIDAY TOUR DESIGNED FOR US BY WALK ABOUT NEW YORK.
On Saturday, December 3, Out Professionals invites you to relive the joys of holidays past at “Holiday Window-Hopping,” a spirited tour of the most storied of Midtown’s Christmas windows — original works of art soon to disappear.
This private tour is designed for us by Walk About New York. We begin at Lord & Taylor, the oldest luxury department store in North America. Then we’re off to Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, Henri Bendel, Tiffany & Co., Bergdorf Goodman, Van Cleef & Arpels, Barneys and Bloomingdale’s.
Afterwards, you’re welcome to unwind among new friends at Jacques Torres (“Mr. Chocolate”), 110 East 57th Street, between Park and Lexington Avenues.
Some of the tour’s surprises:
- Which technological advancement led to window shopping?
- Which store puts its windows in place using hydraulic lifts?
- Which popular toy began by livening up a window display?
- Which well-known Christmas character got its start in a window?
- Which artist inconceivably created windows for the late Bonwit Teller?
Tour Director Phil Desiere, founder of Walk About New York, is licensed by the city as a tour guide. In addition to conducting tours of such quintessential spots as Central Park and Greenwich Village, Phil developed OP’s new tour of Brooklyn’s Green-Wood Cemetery, a National Historic Landmark.