Balboa High School’s CAST Academy proudly invites you to join us for our 2017 California Department of Education sponsored Demonstration Day. You, your fellow teachers and administrators are encouraged to attend the event where we will provide an opportunity to tour the school, meet staff, network, meet our community partners, and learn more about our program. We welcome any Arts, Media, or Entertainment Industry representatives to join us as well and learn how to connect and support this model of education in California.
Join us at our beautiful historical site in San Francisco’s Excelsior District for a day of events that highlight how an urban public high school has integrated art and media courses with core academic courses, and developed effective work based learning experiences for it's students with partnerships with entities like Adobe, SF Museum of Modern Art, Bay Area Video Coalition, XYZ Creative Agency, WalMart.Com, and others.
CAST Academy at Balboa High School, San Francisco Unified School District for our CA Department of Education sponsored AME/CTE Demonstration Day
Who: If you are educator connected with arts, digital media, or computer science, a CTE program supervisor/administrator, an academy coordinator, a counselor, or a school Principal interested in learning more about creating and/or supporting, dynamic programs and partnerships in your school or district, or want to learn more about Arts, Media, Entertainment and Career Technical Education in general, please strongly consider attending.
- We will share information about our CAST and Game Design Academy program and curriculum development, and implementation challenges and successes.
- Learn more about what SFUSD/CTE has done to support it's district AME and ICT programs, through grants, dual enrollment, professional development, and building a strong advisory board with industry partners and agencies.
- Learn and hear from or about our partners (SFMOMA, BAVC, ZYNGA, XYZ Creative, Adobe), as well as current and former students about how these programs work.
- Visit our newly renovated Animation and Game Design computer labs.
- Learn more about Media Arts standards being adopted as part of new state Visual and Performing Arts Standards for K12.
- Meet and network with other teachers and administrators, and find out more about why you should attend the upcoming 3rd annual AME Leadership Institute on March 20-21st, 2017 in San Diego.
- Meet our dynamic advocate for VAPA and AME education at the CA Department of Education, Jack Mitchell, Education Program Consultant.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
8:15-9:00 Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:00-9:15 Welcome and Introductions from SFUSD, CTE, and Balboa Administration
9:15-9:45 Overview of Balboa High School, the CAST Academy and the Game Design Academy: Vision, Structure and Funding
9:45-10:15 Session One: Balancing Arts and Media Arts in an AME Program -
Responsive Planning with SF Museum of Modern Art, SF Mime Troupe, XYZ Creative Agency, Adobe, and City College of San Francisco.
10:15-10:45 Tour School Facilities and Game Design/Animation Lab Renovations!!
10:45-12:00 Session Two: Collaboration and Community with Industry Partners and Organizations – Working with SFUSD CTE and Advisory Boards to Review, Plan, and Develop Work Based Learning and Industry Related Capstone Projects.
12:00-12:45 Lunch Round Table/Discussion/Networking + Introduction to New VAPA Media Arts Standards and AME Leadership Building.
12:45-1:45 Session Three: Evolution and Implementation of a Game Design Academy, and the Challenges of Implementing Computer Science in the Schools.
2:00-2:45 CAST and Game Design Student Panel/Presentation/Exhibition
2:45-3:30 Closing /Q & A
Learn more about CAST Academy/Balboa: http://www.castacademyonline.com/
Balboa High School, in the Susan Ritter Green Room,
1000 Cayuga Ave, San Francisco, CA 94112
Friday, April 7th from 8:30am - 3:45pm
The CAST Academy is a California Partnerships Academy funded integrated arts pathway at Balboa High School, and is a part of the San Francisco Unified School District.The Game Design Program is a SFUSD CTE Career Technical Education academy.