$10

**CANCELED**[San Diego] Look into the Future with CWRU!

Event Information

Share this event

Date and Time

Location

Location

Japanese Friendship Garden

2215 Pan American Rd E

San Diego, CA 92101

View Map

Refund Policy

Refund Policy

Contact the organizer to request a refund.

Eventbrite's fee is nonrefundable.

Event description

Description

**NOTE** This event has been canceled. If you have any questions, please reach out to The Alumni Association at alumnirelations@case.edu or toll free at 800.866.6280.

Join the College of Arts and Sciences and
The Alumni Association for a networking reception and
presentations by two esteemed CWRU physics professors,
as they discuss everything from the state of the universe to
Building a better (quantum) computer of tomorrow.

Sunday, September 22
2 - 4:30 p.m.
Japanese Friendship Garden
2 p.m. - Mocktails and appetizers
2:30 p.m. - Talks by Glenn Starkman and Jesse Berezovsky
3:30 p.m. - Networking and a chance to view the gardens

Glenn Starkman
Distinguished University Professor, Professor and Co-Chair of Physics, Professor of Astronomy, Director of the Institute for the Science of Origins, Director of the Center for Education and Research in Cosmology and Astrophysics

Our scientific understanding of the universe has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few decades, as a result of phenomenal experimental successes - from precision maps of the remnant glow of the big bang, to careful catalogues of many millions of galaxies. Now we find ourselves in a universe in which we understand less than 5% of the contents, striving to figure out the origin of the other 95% - what we call dark matter and dark energy.

Jesse Berezovsky
Associate Professor of Physics

In the century since the discovery of quantum mechanics, experiments have demonstrated time and again that nature is profoundly spooky. Now, scientists are working to take these weird quantum effects out of the laboratory and put them to use as the basis for new computing technology, with the potential to be vastly more powerful than today's computers. Tech giants like IBM, Google, Microsoft, and Intel are making big bets on where quantum technology is going, and smaller start-ups and academic labs are trying to gain a foothold in this emerging area. Are we on the verge of another technological revolution? We may find out in the coming years.





Frequently Asked Questions


Dress code icon

What should I wear?
Business casual is acceptable.

Car

How do I get there and where should I park?

Directions
Directions and instructions to use the Metropolitan Transit System to get to Japanese Friendship Garden can be found here. Google Map directions can be found here. Visitors to Balboa Park are encouraged to use the free Balboa Park tram. Details regarding the Balboa Park tram can be found here.

From north San Diego via CA-163 South

  • Exit 5 South/Park Blvd
  • Left on Park Blvd
  • Left on Presidents Way
  • Second right into parking lot

From north San Diego via I-5 South

  • Exit 10th Street
  • Left on A Street
  • Left on Park Blvd
  • Left on President’s Way
  • Second right into parking lot


From south San Diego via I-5 North

  • Exit 6th Street, turn right
  • Right on El Prado
  • Cross the Cabrillo Bridge
  • Drive past the Organ Pavilion and turn left into the parking lot directly behind it.


Register arrows

Is my registration transferrable?
Registrations are not transferrable to another individual. Name tags will be available upon check-in.


Hourglass


What if the event is sold out?
If the event is sold out, please join the waiting list. You will be contacted if additional tickets become available.



How do I get my tickets?
There are no tickets with your registration. Simply show up at Japanese Friendship Garden and indicate that you are there to attend the Case Western Reserve University event, proceed to the Activity Room located in the Upper Garden and The Alumni Association staff member will have a guest list and name tags for attendees. If needed additional details will be provided in a reminder email 48 hours prior to the event.

Date and Time

Location

Japanese Friendship Garden

2215 Pan American Rd E

San Diego, CA 92101

View Map

Refund Policy

Contact the organizer to request a refund.

Eventbrite's fee is nonrefundable.

Save This Event

Event Saved