CALIFORNIA YOUTH IN THEATRE DAY (CYIT)
Tuesday, March 14, 2017, from 7:30 AM-4:30 PM
Capitol Building, 1500 Capitol Avenue, Senate Room 4203
Sacramento Theatre Company, 1419 H Street
A celebratory day honoring theatre students throughout California
Sacramento March 14, 2017 Cost is $30.00 per person.
Each school receives a certificate stating, “CA EXCELLENCE IN THEATRE.”
Each performing student receives a CETA Theatre certificate. Day’s activities include: Opening Ceremony at the Capitol (Senate Room 4203), meeting with legislators, workshops, souvenir program, performance, and the group sing of "There's No Business Like Show Business" on the west Capitol steps, along with the performance of a spoken word piece, “Theatre Matters.”
CYIT is a statewide celebration honoring the youth of California for their accomplishments in theatre arts and to acknowledge the many individuals and organizations that support and contribute to theatre education for all grade levels – school administrators, teachers, parents, legislators and other officials.
Please read the following event information very carefully. In order for the event to run smoothly we need all attendees to understand the participation guidelines and the schedule of the day.
Guidelines for Eligibility
To perform at CA Youth in Theatre Day, we ask that you meet one of the following criteria:
College students—Eligible to perform if their performance piece >> has received an award at the most recent KC/ACTF Festival.
High school students—Eligible to perform if, at the most recent event, their performance piece
- Received an award at any theatre festival in the state of California during the present academic year
- Advanced to the Finals Round at the Bob Smart Festival, Sacramento; Finals Round at the CSULB Festival; Finals Round at the Fullerton College High School Festival; Semifinals Round at the DTASC Festivals; and/or Semifinals Round of the English Speaking Union Shakespeare Competition.
- Auditioned successfully for the CA State Thespians CYIT Auditions; passed the Trinity School of Drama America, LAMDA examinations; performed with the Bakersfield College Kern Shakespeare Festival; or qualified for a British Arts Award.
- If they have been chosen to represent ComedySportz LA, San Jose, Sacramento or Camp Bravo.
OR you can have a competition at your high school with the prize being the opportunity to perform at CYIT. Designate winner/s as “THE MOST OUTSTANDING” in their performance category.
Middle school students are eligible to perform if their performance piece has received an award at the most recent CETA Northern Middle School Festival or DTASC festivals.
Elementary school students may perform with a well-rehearsed performance piece, if the teacher sponsors the student/s.
Once you have determined your students are eligible, you may begin registration process. Here is info about California Youth In Theatre Day's structure and rules:
General Rules and Information
• Everyone attending the event must be registered.
• There is no on-site registration.
• Sponsoring teachers must be current members of CETA.
• Sponsoring teachers must attend the event and supervise their students.
• Performers must meet at least one of the qualification guidelines to ensure that performances are polished pieces – not works-in-progress. The qualification guidelines are posted on our website.
• Submission deadlines cannot be extended.
• Registration and fee payment, through this website, must be completed by Feb. 22.
• Program information must be submitted and received by Feb. 25.
• There are no refunds for this event.
• CETA does not recommend or support overnight stays for this event.
• All correspondence will be sent to the sponsoring teacher. It is the teacher’s responsibility to distribute information to registered attendees.
• Sponsoring teacher may register for 2 units of academic credit from CSU East Bay. For information and costs for the course, Theatre Advocacy For Theatre Students, contact Gai Jones.
• We request that you contact your local newspaper to publicize your participation in this event.
• It is important to make travel arrangements so that all registered participants arrive at the Capitol no later than 7:30 AM. Please keep in mind that it takes approximately 40 minutes to travel from the Sacramento Airport to the Capitol.
The Day Before the CYIT Event
If you arrive prior to noon on March 13, 2017, join Gai Jones and the CA State Thespians at the Eureka Room, Basement of the Capitol. We deliver CYIT calendars to each of the legislators who have students in attendance.
If you arrive prior to 8 pm on March 13, 2017, join Gai Jones and our delegation at the Department of Health for an Advocacy and Ensemble Building Workshop.
The Day’s Schedule
• The Opening Ceremony begins at 7:30 AM in the Capitol. Only registered attendees will be seated for the opening festivities.
• At 9:00 am, the delegates will will gather on the west steps of the Capitol to perform or see "Theatre Matters," a spoken word piece featuring one member of each attending school. At 9:15 am, we sing "There's No Business Like Show Biz."
• At 9:30 am, we walk to the Sacramento Theatre Company for a continental breakfast, introductions, hour-after-hour performances, lunch, and workshops.
• CETA certificates will be presented during the day to the performers and their teachers.
• Between 4:00-4:30 PM, we gather for the Closing Ceremony that will conclude the day’s events.
• We ask for professionalism and a spirit of support and goodwill with regard to the appropriateness of material, adhering to time limits, and overall behavior throughout the day.
• All aspects of the performance must be appropriate to a G-rating, including language, content, costuming, etc.
• Hand props are allowed but please keep your set-up simple and efficient.
• There is no available piano or keyboard.
• Each group must provide its own CD/tape player. Outlets are available, but it is recommended that you have battery backup.
• The theatre will provide a total of 4 chairs ONLY for onstage use.
• It is recommended that each teacher acquire performance rights for any published material to be performed at the event.
• All morning performers and their instructors are to be audience members for the other morning performers; the afternoon performers and their instructors are audience members for the other afternoon performers .
• When students and educators are not in the theatre for performances, they will attend professional interactive workshops and/or travel to the Capitol for appointments with legislators.
• At lunch we gather on the patio for box lunches, and enjoy performances by special guests.
• All students must remain with sponsoring teacher during lunch time.
• After 4:30 PM, groups may opt to take the self-guided tour of the Capitol or take the trolley to Old Sacramento for shopping and food. Please make travel arrangements that ensure your participation until 4:30 PM. We request that each teacher schedule air transportation from Sacramento after 6:30 PM.
• Monologues and solo performances are a maximum length of 4 minutes.
• Duo performances are a maximum of 5 minutes.
• Group performances are maximum of 8 minutes.
However, the total time for each school is 8 minutes. Please edit your pieces to fit the maximum time limit. If you go overtime, it will affect the day’s events.
The following information is needed to complete the registration on this site:
Attending/Sponsoring teacher Information
Cell phone number.
Teacher’s home address.
Number of people registering (total number: teacher, students, chaperones). Every attendee must be registered.
Names of performing students.
Names of non-performing students.
Names of chaperones.
Number of vegetarian and gluten-free lunches.
Arrival time in Sacramento Performance Information.
Number of performance entries.
Types of performance entries (song, monologue, dance, scene).
Performance running time of each entry (The total time of combined entries is 8 minutes).
Amount for participants (number of ALL attendees @ $30.00 each).
$75 CETA membership (if teacher is not a current 2016-2017 member).
Total Amount Method of payment: PayPal, school check, or personal check (1 check per school entry). Purchase Orders are NOT accepted. All checks must be received by February 22, 2017.
Name of California state senator and his/her district number.
Capitol room number of California state senator.
Name of California state assemblyperson(s).
Capitol room number/s of California state assemblyperson(s).
You can find your state legislators here.
Name of your local newspaper.
Email contact information for the section of your local newspaper that you will contact to submit your publicity article/photo. Please do not the give us the newspaper’s general website address!
Once the required fields are entered, and your payment has been received, the teacher will be emailed program information to be completed and returned by February 25, 2016.
Registration is NOT complete until registration forms and fees are submitted on this site by the deadline and program information is submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com
Registration and payment must be received by February 22, 2017. Program information must be received by February 25, 2017. Questions? Contact Gai Jones.
CETA ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY CONNECTED WITH THIS EVENT.