The new History-Social Science framework, which was adopted in July 2016, parallels the UC Berkeley History-Social Science Project's (UCBHSSP) approach, asking teachers to develop inquiry-driven courses of instruction that integrate the H-SS Standards (content and historical analysis) and Common Core Standards for Literacy in History while integrating ELD instructional models.
Participating teachers will be introduced to:
- Major shifts in instruction
- Suggestions for directing course revision
- Instructional exemplars
Time will be provided to discuss and begin brainstorming curricular changes.
The UC Berkeley History-Social Science Project seeks to bridge the academy and K-12 communities to help teachers strengthen their instructional practice and provide equitable educational opportunities to all students, through a model of learning, practicing, and doing. Through institutes, workshops and seminars, and site-based coaching, UCBHSSP facilitators work with teachers to grow their practice. Their professional development approach includes models and trainings for differentiating instruction to access history, with a specific focus on supporting English learners and low level literacy students.
Target Audience: K-12 educators, including:
• Administrators (site or district)
• Instructional Coaches
• Classroom teachers
Cost: $110 per participant
Lunch will be provided
This session is subject to cancellation or rescheduling if the 15-participant minimum is not met. Registration fees are non refundable unless a session is canceled. Substitutions are gladly accepted if a registered participant cannot attend.
1. To pay by check or purchase order: Click on Register. To complete your registration, enter the information required in the fields provided and select the offline payment method of your choice from the "Payment Method" menu.
- Please make checks payable to: Contra Costa County Office of Education
- Please mail checks to: CCCOE, attention: Hilary Dito
77 Santa Barbara Road, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
2. To pay by credit card: click on the Register button and follow the instructions provided.
For registration assistance please contact:
Gina Yetner, Administrative Assistant
or call (925) 942-3356