The Bull City Slam Team (BCST) is the Triangle's regional and national competiting poetry slam team. The BCST has represented the Triangle in competition for the last 5 years. The 2010 team was chosen on April 24th and is preparing for it's 6th summer of competition. The team will be traveling to Knoxville, TN for the Southern Fried Southeastern Regional Poetry Slam June 3-6 (http://www.southernfried2010.com/). The BSCT finished second in this competition last summer when it was held in Durham. The team will be traveling to St. Paul, MN for the National Poetry Slam August 3-7 (http://nps2010.com/).
The cost of traveling to and participating in these competitions can be costly. We need the community's support in making this happen. We are putting in place a fundraising campaign. We are asking for donations to help us cover our expenses for these two trips. Please read below to see the levels of participation.
We will be recording our live performance CD on June 7 at Nightlife Comedy Club & Lounge at 8:30pm (5504 Durham Chapel Hill Rd, Durham, NC 27707). The CD will then be released on June 14 as a part of our fundraising efforts.
1. $10 donation - will get you a signed copy of the CD. Please supply your mailing address.
2. $25 donation - will get you a signed copy of the CD, a chapbook of poems featured on the CD, and 2 tickets to one of the Jambalaya Soul Slams of your choice next season (running August 2010 - May 2011).
3. $50 donation - will get you a signed copy of the CD, a chapbook of poems featured on the CD, and a season pass to the Jambalaya Soul Slam next season (running August 2010 - May 2011).
4. $150 donation - will get you a signed copy of the CD, a chapbook of poems featured on the CD, and a 20 minute performance by the BCST at an event/occassion of your choice. (*If travel to participate in the event is outside of NC, then travel arrangements must be made for the team. This donation is in place of an honorarium.)
5. Any other level of donation is more than welcome. Each donation will get a personal thank you letter from the BCST.
For more information you can go to www.bullcitypoetryslam.com
If you need paperwork for your tax deductible donation please contact Janella Sellars at Hayti Heritage Center at 919-683-1709 ext. 28 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also send a check made out to:
The St. Josephs Historic Foundation
Hayti Heritage Center
804 Old Fayetteville St
Durham, NC 27701
*Note that it for the Bull City Slam Team
We appreciate your support!
Coach of the BCST
When & Where
Bull City Slam Team
The Jambalaya Soul Slam was started in 2002 by Dasan Ahanu and Ray Gorham. It moved to the Hayti Heritage Center in Durham in 2005 and has been supported by the St. Joseph's Historic Foundation ever since. The slam produces the Bull City Slam Team (BCST). The BCST has represented the Triangle in regional and national competition for 6 years now. The 2010 team recently won the 2010 Southern Fried Southeastern Regional Poetry Slam Championship in Knoxville, TN (http://www.southernfried2010.com/).
BCST members participate in creative writing and performance programming at the Hayti Heritage Center throughout the year. As representatives of the foundation, the BCST helps facilitate workshops, host cultural arts events, and coordinate community programs with local partners. One of the goals of both the slam and the team is to not only be a representative of the community but also an active participant in the community.