Actions and Detail Panel
Building Institutional Capacity for Latina/os - Leadership in Higher Educat...
Fri, September 16, 2016, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM EDT
Emerging populations and the diversity of New York State’s changing demographics highlight the need for Latina/o leaders at all levels of faculty, staff and administration in higher education. A deliberate effort to recruit, retain and promote this population requires immediate consideration by the senior leadership of the State University of New York. Advancing Latina/o talent through SUNY is imperative to “building institutional capacity” as are all efforts that will contribute to the success of Latinas/os in leadership positions. SUNY System Administration and the New York State Legislature recognize the importance of brokering opportunities that leverage intellectual capital where Latinas/os themselves can become leaders. SUNY in collaboration with the NYS Assembly Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force is hosting a one-day institute to develop and put into action innovative strategies with the goal of creating the structure of opportunities that improves the Latina/o leadership pipeline. Please join SUNY and the Task Force in our resolve to impact the institutional change required to propel the future and vitality of Latina/o leadership in higher education.
Please contact the administrator to indicate dietary restrictions.
8:00 – 8:45 a.m.
Continental Breakfast and Institute Check-In
9:00 - 9:30 a.m.
Welcome and Introductions
- SUNY Vice Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer Carlos N. Medina
- SUNY Trustees Chairman H. Carl McCall
- The Honorable Marcos A. Crespo, NYS Assembly, Chair, Assembly Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force
- Kim Ramos, Esq. - Deputy Secretary for Intergovernmental Relations to NYS Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie
9:30 – 10:30 a.m.
Morning Keynote: The Landscape of Latinas/os in Higher Education: The Past, Present and Future – Deborah A. Santiago, Chief Operating Officer and Vice President for Policy at Excelencia in Education
10:30 – 10:45 a.m.
11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
President’s Leadership Roundtable/Panel: Supporting Transitions for Leadership Opportunities in Higher Education – A Presidential View: Developing Latina/o Participation in University Leadership
- Moderator – Alexander N. Cartwright, SUNY Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
- Panelist – Diana Cordova, Clinical Professor of Executive Education and Academic Director of the Kellogg Executive Leadership Institute at Northwestern University
- Panelist – Waded Cruzado, President at Montana State University
- Panelist – José L. Cruz, President at Lehman College, CUNY
12:30 p.m. -1:15 p.m
1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Afternoon Keynote: Developing New Latina/o Leadership: Recruitment, Retention and Institutional Change: What will it Take? – Carlos E. Santiago,Commissioner of Higher Education for Massachusetts
2:15 – 2:30 p.m.
2:30 – 3:15 p.m.
Roundtable Discussion: Executive Searches and Process
3:15 – 3:30 p.m.
Wrap-Up: Open Discussion - Next Steps