San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
About the Conference:
Join media entrepreneurs and experts, reporters, and editors from global news organizations, tech companies, and academia for a series of panels around building a newsroom better suited for reporting on complex, interconnected phenomena - “obsessions”.
Why obsessions? In the era of 140-character fast news, the audience no longer looks for news. They know that the news will find them. As a result, many media outlets have embraced the digital-first strategy. However, their newsrooms remain centered around the “all the news that’s fit to print” motto of the old days, with little or no innovation geared towards changing the existing newsroom structure.
Instead of beats, newsrooms should strive to cover obsessions, these disruptive and multidisciplinary phenomena in which our audience is embedded.
If you haven't heard of obsessions before, here's a good explanation by Gideon Lichfield, Quartz's Global News Editor: "On elephants, obsessions and wicked problems: A new phenomenology of news."
The conference is part of our editor fellowship program for journalism students.
Schedule of Panels:
12:00 Registration & networking (lunch provided)
12:30 – 1:00 pm Keynote: Introduction to Obsessions
- Jay Rosen, Professor of Journalism, NYU
1:00 - 2:00 pm Session #1: Production
- Gideon Lichfield, Global News Editor, Quartz
- Kristin Nolan, News Deeply & Fellow at Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia University
- Nick Whitaker, Media Outreach, Google
- (moderated by) Olga Khrustaleva, SR Editor Fellow
2:00 - 3:00 pm Session #2: Packaging
- Kenton Powell, Interactive designer, Guardian US
- Suman Deb Roy, data scientist, betaworks
- Max Zimbert, Managing Editor, Yahoo News Digest
- (moderated by) Sofia Lotto-Persio, SR Editor Fellow
3:00 - 3:15 pm Coffee Break
3:15 - 4:15 pm Session #3: Powering
- Zach Seward, Senior Editor, Quartz
- Guy Vidra, General Manager, Yahoo News
- Paul Berry, Founder and CEO, RebelMouse
- (moderated by) Leilani Leach, SR Editor Fellow
4:15 – 5:00 pm Student Reporter Editor Fellows presentation
Stay to hear about how our editor fellows will spend the summer putting together a newsroom of student writers around their own obsessions projects.
This event is supported by:
Space, lunch, and coffee are provided by:
You can buy tickets at the door but we've got limited capacity so be sure to buy them in advance to reserve your spot.
When & Where
Student Reporter is a journalism education and outreach nonprofit that trains young writers to mobilize topic or event driven newsrooms all around the world.