Actions and Detail Panel
Building an Accessory Dwelling Unit on Your Property in Portland
Sat, March 25, 2017, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM PDT
The goal for this class is to help you, the homeowner, build an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) that will augment your property, maximize your space, and add flexibility to your life. This class will help you understand the essential elements of the ADU process from start to finish, which will result in a more beautiful space and will save you time and money.
The process of building an ADU can be complex, overwhelming and expensive. I am not a general contractor or an architect trying to sell you my services. I am a homeowner and environmental professional with a passion for ADUs and a lot of practical information to share about them.
You’ll Walk Away from the Class Understanding…
· The design, permitting, and building process
· Relevant green building approaches and certifications
· Financing, rebates, incentives, cost-saving design/build measures
· Resources, references and contacts to help you design and build your ADU
You’ll be able to ask questions of me and other attendees, and network with other local homeowners who are considering building an ADU.
· The course cost is $145. You can register from this page.
· The course will go from 9am to 5pm with a lunch break. The class is going to be a fast-paced course that will cover lots of material. Be prepared with questions and be ready to take notes. I will have some handouts.
· As a class, we visit 2-3 ADUs in the afternoon after lunch, then return to the classroom to finish up the day
· Oregon Real Estate Agency: 7 CEUs (Topic: Real estate property evaluation, appraisal, or valuation).
· Built a new construction ADU in NE Portland; completed in September 2011. See media links.
· Organize the City-wide ADU Tour
· Owner of Caravan- The Tiny House Hotel.
· Teach ADU Class for Reators through Earth Advantage Institute.
· Editor of AccessoryDwellings.org.
· Master in Design and the Environment from the Harvard Graduate School of Design
· Sustainable Home Professional certification from the Earth Advantage Institute