San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Bridging the Gap (BTG) training prepares bi-lingual individuals to work as a medical interpreter. It is not an uncommon practice in the medical field to recruit persons who speak another language to serve as an interpreter; the risks in doing so are very high. An untrained bilingual person can often time not have the skills in acting in the role of an interpreter, the ethics, and technique involved; nor do they have the medical terminology vocabulary. Inevitably they make mistakes, and mistakes in a health setting can be serious.
This 40-hour basic/intermediate training course covers:
- Basic interpreting skills
- Health care information
- Culture in interpreting
- Communication skills for advocacy
- Professional development
Course Times are always from 9:00 Am to 5:00 PM
Courses may be in one of two combinations*:
Week One = Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Week Two = Following Friday, Saturday
Week One = Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Week Two = Saturday, Sunday
*Please be sure you check the dates to make sure you've chosen the combination that works best for your schedule!
Bridging the Gap Registration Pre-enrollment Information and Requirements:
All registration forms are accepted on a first come first serve basis.
- Upon receipt of registration form and the $500.00 payment will reserve the applicant a seat in a scheduled course of their choice.
- All course participants must successfully complete a language proficiency assessment 30 days prior to the start date of the BTG course.
Bridging the Gap Registration Enrollment Procedure:
1. After receipt of registration forms and payment of $500.00 an over the phone language proficiency assessment (LPA) will be scheduled at a time convenient for the course participant. The participant will receive a phone call and or email to schedule the LPA. LPAs occur in the RUAH office during normal business hours. The LPA takes approximately 50-90 minutes. The participant will be evaluated on comprehension, pronunciation, and healthcare context terms in both languages.
2. It is an additional 5 business days before the results are received. An email with results and next steps will be sent to the participant at that time.
3.If the participant does not pass the LPA, the participant must wait 6 months to re-test. To register, the participant will need to contact the RUAH office. The re-test fee is $100.00.
If you cancel your enrollment for a BTG course, all fees up to $400.00 will be credited to the applicant for enrollment in another BTG course date 10 business days prior to the start of the course. Failure to notify RUAH office of cancellation at least 10 business days prior to the start of the course, will result in no refund.
If you wish to receive a refund of all paid fees up to $400.00, you must submit a written request to RUAH for the refund. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
Tuition: $500.00-Includes a non-refundable fee of $100.00 for language proficiency assessment and processing NO CASH will be accepted, all fees must be paid by Visa, MasterCard, check, or money order.
All courses are a total of 40 hours of training and are taught in English.
Weekend and weekday courses are from 9 am to 5 pm each day.
Attendance of all 40 hours is required to successfully complete the training program.
A final exam is given on the last day and requires a minimum passing score of 70% to complete the program. Final exam is administered in English.
The course is limited to a maximum of 25 candidates per class.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will receive the certificate of completion mailed to their listed address.
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact the RUAH office at 317-338-8670.
Rural and Urban Access to Health Office
8424 Naab Road, Building 1, Ste 1A
Indianapolis, Indiana 46260
For more information contact: RUAH by email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone: 317-338-8670 or Fax: 317-338-8671