Everyone - even formula marketers - say that "breast is best." But only 51% of all US babies are exclusively breastfed during their hospital stay. By the time they are six months old, that number drops to only 14%. (CDC) This, in spite of the American Academy of Pediatrics' recommendation that infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life.
So, breastfeeding is clearly best... but that doesn't mean it's easy. Our Breastfeeding class provides you with all the information needed to not only get you on the path to successful breastfeeding, but keep you on it! In our class you will learn:
- the physiology of breastfeeding
- about common myths vs. realities
- the essentials of getting off to a good start
- to recognize hunger cues from baby
- how to know if your baby is getting enough milk
- correct latch-on and positioning
- how to continue breastfeeding through life's transitions
- signs of when to seek help
The Breastfeeding class meets once for 3 hours, and can be taken individually or as part of the Comprehensive Package. We recommend partners attend, as they are integral in the success of the breastfeeding relationship. We also recommend taking this class prior to 36 weeks of pregnancy.
We welcome birth professionals who wish to further their education by auditing our Breastfeeding class. Please contact us directly for assistance with fees and scheduling