NC DPI TEACHER TRAINING for North Carolina Teachers ONLY
Unlock your students’ creative coding potential! Learn how you can inspire your students to discover computer science principles in a fun and engaging way! This hands-on, MIE Academy prepares you to teach Creative Coding through Games and Apps (CCGA) in your classroom setting. The workshop provides an accelerated overview of the full course and student curriculum. If you have the opportunity and desire to bring foundational coding skills to your students, this workshop is for you! Get ready to learn valuable new skills.
Before you even arrive, we provide introductory materials to give you a solid foundation on the course and the curriculum content. Whether you are new to coding or have been a developer for years, you will find valuable educational resources and learn new ways to engage your students. Preparatory pre-work is required to ensure meeting the workshop learning objectives, and can be obtained from the links in the table below. At the completion of this workshop, you will:
- Be introduced to Touch Develop and the span of coding concepts addressed in the course. Exposure to coding concepts and Touch Develop will be introductory and not comprehensive. Participants will require further self-study beyond the two-day workshop to gain sufficient additional knowledge and skill to be ready to fully integrate Touch Develop into teaching the course.
- Understand how to use all the course materials. This includes making use of suggested teaching strategies, addressing learning challenges that students may encounter, preparing and presenting lessons, and providing students’ all necessary resources.
- Understand how to teach the course. This includes the general teaching approach, flexibility in time to deliver the course, and flexible use of course online lessons.
- Understand further preparations that may be needed to be ready to teach the course. This includes gaining proficiency in Touch Develop, gaining knowledge about coding concepts to stay one step ahead, and further study of the course resources to be ready to use them on a daily basis.
Topics covered during this workshop:
- Introduction to Touch Develop
- Course overview
- Deep dive: Unit 1
- Discuss Homework experience
- CS concepts, Units 7-9
- Coding Concepts
- Units 2-6
- Checkpoint and Questions
- Start your Homework
- Units 10-12
- Going Forward
- Wrap Up