OSSE is pleased to invite all teachers serving English Learners (ELs) in grades 1 and higher, to participate in an eight-week book study covering the scope of English Learners in the Mathematics Classroom by Debra Coggins et. al. This resource links Common Core State Standards with strategies, guidelines, and eye-opening real-life classroom scenarios that serve to foster language development while also guiding ELs toward a high level of mathematics learning. By the end of the study, participants will be able to:
- Help students draw attention to connections to prior experiences and points of familiarity throughout a mathematics lesson;
- Help students use objects, including manipulatives and people, as thinking and communication tools;
- State a clear question, purpose, and motivation for a lesson and help students remain focused around the question;
- Present challenging problems and learning tasks that require higher-order thinking skills while promoting communication; and
- Differentiate tasks to meet the range of learners in your classroom.
Each meeting will be held on Thursdays at a hosting school or OSSE-designated location. Books and interactive web platform will be provided. Attendance at all five meetings is strongly encouraged in order to foster a community of practice. The book study launch will take place on Thursday, Oct. 20, from 2:30-4:30 p.m. at OSSE, Fifth Floor Room 5014. The other dates include Nov. 3, Nov. 17, Dec. 1 and Dec. 15.
Register early as space is limited.
For more information or questions please email Anika Harris at Anika.Harris@dc.gov.