Board Governance Series (Triple Play) - Winter 2014
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM - Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM (PST)
Aptos, United States
Three session triple play helps you score as a new board member!
Session 1: Effective Governance
- Learn your legal responsibilities
- Learn the accepted roles and responsibilities of board service
- Discuss how to be a good board members beyond the job description
Session 2: Building the Board
- Learn how to build an effective board team
- Learn the first steps to recruiting good board members
- Get insights on fostering an effective relationship between the board and executive director
Session 3: Assessing Performance
- Learn the benefits of regular board assessments
- Understand the reasons and benefits for evaluating your executive
- Learn how to do it right and resources available to you
Some participant feedback:
Mary helped me understand that "relationships are critical to the board 'team' development."
I learned "when to wear my governance hat and when not to."
Mary helped me understand why "evaluating the board is a good idea."
Mary helped me see we have "room for improvement."
"I had a chance to discuss this with board members from other organizations, which was great!"
Mary Hiland, Ph.D., has over thirty five years experience in the nonprofit sector—both as a board member and executive director. She is an organizational consultant whose services focus on strengthening nonprofit executive and board teams as powerful forces for community impact. She is also an executive coach for new and experienced executives and board leaders.
When: Wednesdays: January 22, February 5 and February 19, 2014
When: 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (includes light supper)
When & Where
Community Foundation Santa Cruz County
Whether you're a donor, professional advisor or nonprofit, you'll find workshops, free consultation, a resource library and networking opportunities here at your local community foundation.