Actions and Detail Panel
Billy Lane's Sons of Speed Vintage Motorcycle Race
Sat, March 18, 2017, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM EDT
Sons of Speed is a motorcycle race inspired by early 20th-century board-track racing. Featuring stripped-down bikes with pre-1925 American V-Twin engines and a steeply banked racetrack, Sons of Speed hearkens back to a wide-open, full-throttle, thrilling style of motorcycle racing.
Founded by veteran motorcycle builder Billy Lane of Discovery Channel's Biker Build-Off and Monster Garage, the first Sons of Speed race will feature some of the sport’s most accomplished riders, builders, and enthusiasts, including:
* Billy Lane, riding a 1913 Mack or a 1913 Indian
* Rick Petko (Discovery Channel's American Chopper), riding a 1920 Indian
* Jay Allen (motorcycle racer/promoter and proprietor, Broken Spoke Saloons), riding a 1913 Thor
* Brittney Olsen (20th Century Racing), riding a 1923 Harley-Davidson racer
* Buzz Kanter (publisher, American Iron Magazine), riding a 1915 Harley-Davidson
* Shelley Rossmeyer Pepe (GM, Bruce Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson), riding a 1915 Harley-Davidson
* Warren Lane (Atomic Metalsmith), riding a 1919 Indian
The Sons of Speed race will take place during Daytona Bike Week at New Smyrna Speedway’s half-mile, paved, banked racetrack, with nine riders in several different heats. Winners of the heats will advance to a championship round. Each racer will sit astride identical hand-built racing chassis holding pre-1925 1000cc American V-Twin engines, and most racers will customize their machines by fabricating handlebars, exhaust, fenders, foot pegs and fuel/oil tanks.