Big Green Egg Backyard BBQ Competition
Sunday, May 26, 2013 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM (MDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
2013 Big Green Egg Backyard BBQ Competition Rules and Regulations
Competition Date: Sunday, May 26th 11AM-2PM
- No culinary professionals (chefs, caterers, restaurateurs, professional barbecue teams etc.) are allowed to compete in this event for amateurs.
- A $50 entry fee will be paid by each team competing in this event. Consider this: Entries are limited to 10 teams.
- The winning team wins the Big Green Egg that is used during the competition.
- Each team will consist of one Chief Cook and allows for up to (2) assistants as deemed needed. One Big Green Egg will be provided to each team along with the initial charcoal (pre-lit for the team) to be used exclusively by that team within the assigned cooking area. The use of any other cooking devices is not permitted.
- All seasoning and cooking of product(s) shall be done within the confines of the assigned space. The Chief Cook and/or assistants are only allowed one entry in this event.
- Beaver Creek Resort Company (BCRC) will provide the following: Big Green Egg, charcoal (pre-lit in cooker), 10’x10’ tent, 8’ table, 3 chairs, 9”x9” biodegradable entry container(s), any meat and/or side items to be prepared in the (3) hour time frame and ice (if deemed necessary).
- One 10x10 tent will contain Big Green Egg accessories that may be used by the teams.
- All preparation and assembly of entries will be performed on-site at the event beginning promptly at 11AM and ending at 2PM when entries are submitted for judging.
- Teams may provide any utensils, cooking tools or supplies deemed necessary during competition including, but not limited to, spices, rubs, sauces, grilling tools, butter, oils, herbs, wood chips, etc. unless specified otherwise within these rules and regulations.
- All decisions, determinations and interpretations for the judging component of the 2013 Big Green Egg Backyard BBQ Competition of the Blues, Brews and BBQ event will be made by BCRC and will be considered as being final.
- There will be one entry category judged at the Big Green Egg Backyard BBQ which includes MEAT and SIDE DISH. These will be presented to each team by the Beaver Creek Resort Company at 11AM on Sunday, May 26th. Actual items to remain undisclosed until 11AM on the day of the competition.
- It is the responsibility of the contestant to ensure that the team's assigned cooking space is kept clean and policed following the contest. It is imperative that clean-up be thorough. Any team's assigned cooking space left in disarray or with loose trash, other than at trash containers, could lead to disqualification. Please note that the maintenance of sanitation and hygiene are deemed necessary and are reasons for disqualification. Plastic food service gloves and a small bucket with sanitation related supplies will be provided to each team.
- A blind judging process will be utilized to determine first, second and third place winners.
- Judges will perform blind judging under the guidance of a BCRC judging coordinator.
- The blind judging process will take place in a closed area, only accessible by those approved by BCRC. This will include official barbecue judges, the judging coordinator, approved volunteers and designated BCRC personnel. Photography or videotaping will only be allowed at the discretion of BCRC.
- Judges and other persons involved in judging will not affiliate or communicate with any barbecue competitors prior to and until the judging process is completed.
- All scores that are given by judges will be used to determine winners.
- Scoring will carry equal weight values for the three categories of judging for each entry: Appearance, Taste and Tenderness. Scores will range from 10 (best) to 1 (worst), with 5 representing an average score.
- Total points in each category will determine first, second and third place winners for each entry.
- Any tie in scores will be determined by a coin toss overseen by a BCRC official and the judging coordinator.
- Garnish is optional as you deem appropriate to enhance the appearance of any entry item, but must fit completely into the entry container along with entries.
- Sauce is optional and if used should be applied directly to a meat entry without pooling of the sauce in the container. Do not include any side sauce container(s) in the entry turn-in container.
- Each entry should provide at least six portions for judges which are detached and separated from one another. Each entry should fit completely into the container provided by BCRC.
- Entries shall not be identifiable, i.e. nothing allowed except the entry and garnish as desired, without aluminum foil, toothpicks, or any other identifying markers.
- There will be no disqualification of an entry, unless determined by the judging coordinator in cases of late entries or those that pose a health hazard to the judges, i.e. undercooked, not enough pieces for six judges, identifying items in entry container, etc. No markings other than those provided by BCRC are allowed on any entry container.
- Turn-in by competitors is scheduled as follows for Sunday, May 26th: 2:00PM turn-in area to the designated 10x20 area
- All entries will be submitted in an approved BCRC 9”x9” biodegradable event container. These containers will be provided to contestants by BCRC.
- Containers provided to BBQ competitors will be labeled by BCRC with team numbers and then renumbered after turn-in and prior to presentation to the judges.
- Winners will be announced at 4:10PM on the Main Stage in the Beaver Creek Plaza on Sunday, May 26th.
- Alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase at the event venue. Alcoholic beverages brought in from the outside are not permitted. Please note that disorderly conduct will not be tolerated and may result in removal from the venue and the competition.
- Please note that outside music will not be allowed in the event venue.
If you have any questions, please contact Lauren Ciarallo at 970-845-5299 or by email at email@example.com