Actions and Detail Panel
Beyond the Birds & the Bees Supporting Sexuality for People with Complex Ne...
Wed, November 15, 2017, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM MST
Supporting Sexuality and Healthy Relationships for People with Complex Needs is the tenth Workshop in the Complex Needs Learning Series presented by the Complex Needs Initiative and will be led by Becky Van Tassel.
Sexual health is an important componant of a person's quality of life. It can be influced by many factors incuding physical, social and mental well being. Attending this workshop will :
- Increase particpants comfort and skills in talking about sexuality with clients
- Provide practical tools and skills to address complex needs and behaviours as it relates to sexuality
This course will help service providers feel more comfortable and comfortable addressing sexuality related issues with their clients. This course is helpful for participants who enjoy learning in a fun and interactive manner. This course will also provide you with practical tools to take back to your agency.
Becky Van Tassel has been employed in the non-profit sector since 2001; she holds
Bachelor of Social Work and a Master of Adult Education specializing in Educational Research. During this time she has had the opportunity to work with diverse populations in the areas of counselling, education, community development, and harm reduction. Her efforts have been focused in the areas of addiction, housing, sexual assault, mental health, sexual health, and working with people with developmental disabilities. These prior experiences have allowed her to explore the holistic aspects of sexuality, violence prevention, and sexuality after trauma. From heryears of academic and professional experience Becky is adept at creating enjoyable, meaningful, and practical educational sessions for adult learners. As a facilitator Becky is skilled at facilitating difficult topics, discussions, and is able to bring a sense of humor to serious issues. Becky is the Training Centre Manager at the Calgary Sexual Health Centre.
Learning Outcomes (Participants will be able to):
- Define sexuality, sex, sexual health and wellbeing
- Define attributes of a sexually healthy person
- Identify rationale for integrating sexual health into your practice for people with complex needs
- Define and implement a Trauma-Informed approach to practice
- Challenge personal beliefs, attitudes, feelings and biases regarding sexuality
- Identify appropriate topics for discussion with your clients
- Practice discussing sexual health with your clients, role play working through scenarios for people with complex needs and behaviors
- Practice harm reduction tools and techniques to assist clients in decision making
- Develop tools that assist in supporting boundaries, healthy relationships and sexuality
- Make appropriate referrals
- Feel confident talking to clients about sexual health
This Workshop will be located in Grande Prairie (In-Person) at: TBD
Video Conference sites available in:
Calgary: Sheldon M Chumir Health Centre (1213 4 St SW) - Room 3102
Calgary: South Health Campus (4448 Front St SE) - Academic Family Medicine - Meeting Room 410007
Edmonton: Park Plaza Office Building (10611 - 98 Ave) - 4th floor, Large Board Room 448A
Red Deer: Addiction Mental Health Centre (4733 49 St) - Room 205
High Level: Northwest Health Centre (11202 100 Ave) - Multipurpose Room A
Lethbridge: Chinoonk Regional Hospital (960 19 St S) - Room 2K163
Medicine Hat: Medicine Hat Regional Hospital (666 5 St SW) Regional Resource Centre - Room 242
Select your location when registering to reserve your seat for the workshop