Join internationally trained, Oregon-based, certified professional midwife, Augustine Colebrook on the beautiful island of Maui, Hawai'i for a 5 day intensive immersion in the art and science and practice of traditional out-of-hospital midwifery. With sections on charting, risk assessment, equipment know-how and set up and including hands on skills throughout, this is going to be an amazing workshop to launch your midwifery education! Limited to 12 beginning midwifery students, don't wait - this workshop will fill up fast!
Monday November 7, 2016 - Friday November 11, 2016
9 am to noon and 2pm to 6 pm every day (friday no afternoon session)
Beginning Midwifery Intensive Curriculum
Each one of the topics below could be a workshop on its own, but you get to attend everyone of them in this amazing week-long workshop! Come prepared to take in a tremendous amount of information everyday!
Ample lunch breaks are scheduled to optimize information retention. Certificate of completion awarded at the conclusion, as well as any relevant skills sign off for NARM or MCU, BirthWIse, Bastyr, NCM, Birthingway, Nizshoni, and NMI
- The language of midwifery - de-coding vocabulary, medical terminology, acronyms, and midwifery slang... i.e.; 'Shit Midwives Say'
- Pathway to midwifery - choosing your educational path
- Who's on first, what's on second? - the universal roles of the birth team
- Charting do's and don'ts - defensive charting to stay out of the court room
- Risk assessment - understanding perception of safety, choice and autonomy
- Informed decision-making - communicating non-biased risk, benefit, alternatives
- Maternal blood work & urinalysis - understanding basic lab values and their meaning
- Leopold's maneuvers - discovering fetal position, attitude, flexion and station by palpation
- Prenatal bleeding - differential diagnosis and treatment
- Optimal Fetal Positioning - how to avoid and fix back labor
- 'What labor looks, sounds, and feels like' - emotional-hormonal-physiology of normal labor
- Laborland etiquette - protecting the environment of undisturbed birth
- Anatomy of a birth bag - what midwives bring to birth and why.
- O2 set up - reasons for clinical use on mothers and infants
- IV set up - perfecting your skill at assisting
- Intramuscular injections - basic needle skills and medication safety
- Advanced doula skills - hands-on techniques to ease pain and suffering
- Maternal vitals assessments - learn to take blood pressure, pluse and temp
- Newborn vital assessment - heart rate, temp, respirations, and oxygen saturation
- Breastfeeding assisting skills - individual assessment for each mama/baby pair
- Tongue and lip tie identification - how to prevent needless suffering
- Diaper Diaries - what is normal and what is not and advising the mother
- Hemorrhage - how to quickly assess blood loss in all the various birth locations
- Placenta magic - learn the thorough placenta exam, drawing cord blood and discuss placenta medicine
- newborn screening - techniques to eliminate the second poke and reduce crying