For Ministers, Religious Professionals, Safe Congregations Committees, Lay Leaders. Attending in teams of three or more is recommended to root the learning and take it back to your home congregation.
PRESENTER: Kimberly Sweeney, New England Region UUA
“A sexually healthy and responsible congregation is free from sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct. Congregations need explicit policies and procedures to keep children, youth, and vulnerable adults safe from abuse and harassment; strong codes of conduct for religious professionals, and safeguards for congregants who have been accused or convicted of sexual offences." from Religious Institute Safer Congregations
Our UUA has partnered with The Religious Institute to offer the Sexually Safer Best Practice Initiative. This resource provides assessments and sample policies around eighteen areas to help guide congregations in creating a sexual safety policy and practice.
Join with other congregational teams as we consider:
- Important policies and practices that every congregation –regardless of size, denomination, theology, location, or demographic composition – should have in place to better ensure freedom from sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct
- Strategies for gaining congregational commitment to sexual safety involving the religious leaders, the board, the religious educators, the parents, volunteers, and indeed every member of the congregation
- Opportunities to connect with other congregations working to receive the Best Practice Seal as a Sexually Safer Congregation
LOCATION: First Parish Unitarian Universalist in Needham, MA (Directions)
- $50 per person up to the first three from the same congregation
- $35 per person after the first three from the same congregation
- $35 per minstry student
While we know that not all individuals are in a position to pay these fees, since the learning is on behalf of the congregation, we assume that congregations will select and financially support participants who come. However, if these fees are prohibitive even to the congregation, please contact us. We do not want cost to keep anyone away.
NOTE TO ALL ATTENDEES: Please bring your own bag lunch. Morning refreshments, drinks and afternoon snacks will be provided.
REGISTRATION CLOSES: Tuesday, January 24th
CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS:
- If you or a teammate needs to cancel a registration before the event, please contact us as early as possible, by one week before the event at the latest, and a refund will be provided less a $10.00 administrative fee. Within one week of the event refunds less a $10.00 administrative fee will only be given in the case of illness or emergency. Refunds will not be available after the event for non attendance. We ask for your understanding in respecting this policy, which supports our organizational efforts and expenses.
- The New England Region UUA may need to cancel an event in the case of low enrollment. We will contact you well in advance of the event and provide prompt, full refund of registration fees.
- In cases of inclement winter weather, we will try to reschedule an event if the conditions are deemed unsafe for driving.