Join us for our 5th Anniversary!
BarCamp Miami will take place on February 19th, 2012!
What is BarCamp Miami?
BarCamp is an ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees.
It’s not your traditional talking heads technology conference. Everyone is expected to participate in some way: by giving a talk, asking questions, or organizing a session.
BarCamp fosters collaboration -- matching technologists with designers, with engineers, and with angel investors. BarCamp brings people together who understand what new technology means for Miami’s future.
Who should be there?
Anyone working on a new startup that wants to get some great feedback.
Anyone looking for talent. Anyone talented looking for work.
Anyone looking to invest in brilliant new ideas.
Anyone looking to find partners for their brilliant new ideas.
Anyone who wants to practice a presentation s/he is working on.
Anyone who has a passion for blogging, wikis, design, coding and the web in general.
Everyone is welcome. Everyone is encouraged to present.
BarCamp is totally free and an excellent source of what is hot, new and upcoming.
Help support our startup community
Events like BarCamp are important to the community, because they bring everyone together for sharing, learning, and networking over their centers of interest. Best of all, BarCamp is free to attendees.
However, there are costs associated with running BarCamp. The venue represents a large part of the budget, and we must additionally cover insurance, equipment (tables, chairs, cords, amenities), promotional material, refreshments, and to the extent possible, t-shirts and catering.
Can you help out? Just buy a sponsor ticket!
Sponsorships are $250 maximum so that even startups can contribute on a monetary level to keeping this a free, grassroots community event. :)
In return, you get visibility in front of our tech community (which extends beyond South Florida). For example, here's what you get for sponsoring:
- Your logo on the super-special BarCamp Miami t-shirt (it's a collector's item!);
- Your logo on printed materials which will be posted and handed out at local universities and other establishments and on BarCamp posters at the event;
- Your logo on the event page and BarCamp Miami website;
- Additionally, we are trying to secure an exhibit area for sponsors at the venue.
If you want to contribute an amount not $250, email me: alex at barcampmiami.org
- Register here on EventBrite to give coordinators an idea as to how many people are coming (and to get your nametag printed, instead of Sharpie'd!);
- Follow the BarCampMiami Twitter for updates: @BarCampMiami
- Bring a laptop or iPad - It's great for showing off that program you mentioned in your session;
- Come early, but not too early - Showing up at the announced starting time will be fine. Show up earlier, and you'll get drafted for setup work (much appreciated!). Show up later, and you'll miss some social activity and your T-shirt;
- Be ready to participate - come with an idea for a session you can lead. You don't have to be an expert at your topic; as long as it's not too specific, there'll probably be someone else present who can help you out. You can also contribute to the conversation during a session. This is a great way to participate, since it spreads knowledge from everyone, instead of just the leader.
Today, more than 174,000 students attend Miami Dade College, a state-supported college with eight campuses and numerous outreach centers. MDC is the largest institution of higher education in the United States and one of the most highly regarded colleges in the nation.
- Exit Metrorail at Government Center and take the Metromover (Inner or Outer Loop) to College/Bayside Station or College North Station.
From the North:
- Take I-95 South and exit right onto NW 8th Street.
- Go straight to 5th Street.
- Go seven blocks to NE 2nd Ave.
From the South:
- Take US 1 to I-95 North and exit right onto NW 2nd Street.
- Go north two blocks to NW 5th Street and turn right.
- Go east six blocks to NE 2nd Avenue and turn right.
From the East:
- Take MacArthur Causeway West and exit onto Biscayne Boulevard.
- Go south eight blocks and turn right on NE 3rd Street.
From the West:
- Take SR 836 East and exit onto I-395.
- Exit right onto NE 2nd Avenue.
- Go south eight blocks.
Special thanks to our sponsors
And to our media partners
When & Where
BarCampMiami is a free conference on innovation in South Florida. All are welcome to attend and everyone's invited to present. Please follow @BarCampMiami on Twitter for more information.