Artistic Directors of the Future present...
Diversifying London’s Theatre Boards
Artistic Director of the Future (ADF), in association with Independent Theatre Council (ITC) and Battersea Arts Centre (BAC) present a unique event: ‘Diversifying London’s Theatre Boards’, hosted at the National Theatre on Tuesday 15 November 2016. Free event for ADF Directors.
ADF recognises that Trustees have the ultimate responsibility to recruit and appoint the artistic directors and leaders of their organisations. Currently there are disproportionately few BAME representatives on the boards of London theatres which we think hampers the appointment of more BAME leaders of those organisations. We also recognise that the relationship between existing Trustees and the diverse talent pool in London remains distant.
So we have created a one day networking and training event with the following objectives:
· Introducing ADF members to the Boards of London theatres;
· Demystifying the role of a Trustee and the appointment of Trustees;
· Demystifying the recruitment of Artistic Directors.
Who is the event for?
Any ADF member who wants to know how theatre Boards work and the opportunity to network with theatre leaders and trustees to make connections for the future.
What exactly will happen?
The first half of the day is targeted at ADF members for a bespoke workshop facilitated by the Independent Theatre Council.This workshop is usually priced at £50-£60.
This three hour workshop will offer an insight in to:
- How London's Theatre Boards work
- Roles & responsibilities of Trustees
- Benefits of becoming a trustee
- Examples of good governance
- How to be an effective board member
- Recruitment process of hiring artistic directors & senior management staff.
The second half of the day is targeted at ADF members & the Trustees and leadership teams of London theatres and is designed to be an action-based session on how we work together to diversify our Boards.
- Three short provocations on the theme of the day with examples of great practice and interesting Board models to be inspired by;
- Speed networking session between ADF members and London Theatres
- Practical ideas session in which everyone gathered will have the opportunity to work together to suggest actions towards diversifying the Boards of London theatre
How many people can come to the event?
There are only 30 spaces available for ADF members!
Please note. Due to the limited number of tickets available. Please only book if you are sure you can attend. There will be a penalty of £20 for 'no shows'.
This event has been carefully deisigned to ensure that we have full commitment from guest speakers, senior management staff and trustees from reputable London theatres.
Details of convening organisations:
Artistic Directors of the Future (ADF) is an organisation dedicated to increase the number of BAME artistic directors of mainstream theatres. ADF’s programme of work has generated employment opportunities, support and training for our 350+ BAME members located across the UK.
Independent Theatre Council is the management association for theatre's independent sector. We are a community of peers spread across the UK working in drama, dance, opera and musical theatre, mime and physical theatre, circus, puppetry, street arts and mixed media.
Battersea Arts Centre’s purpose is to inspire people to take creative risks to shape the future. We want to diversify the mix of people who make up our staff team, our Board, the artists in our programme, audiences and the people who use our building every day. We want to learn off other organisations who are doing this successfully.