Actions and Detail Panel
ARE THE MINDS GROWING IN YOUR CLASSROOM?
Wed, June 28, 2017, 9:15 AM – 3:00 PM BST
Outline of the Day
Morning Session at Bodmin College, 09:30 to 11:30
Delivered by: Karen Taylor, Deputy Principal
Delegates will be escorted by Karen on a ‘Learning walk’ around the college. Encompassing:
- Viewing of the wall displays to help look at the culture adopted outside of the classroom.
- Drop into the classroom setting to observe GMS in operation.
- Explanation of how the school monitors and tracks impact.
Pack Type Session – A psychometric based process that takes minutes to understand yet is so revealing and uplifting that just playing enhances self-awareness, esteem, confidence, understanding and relationships. This is a card process that through selecting skills and characterises, you can start to see what main personality type you are what you strengths and vulnerabilities are and how to build on them.
Delegates will be given the tools to be able to deliver this activity with their own learners as well as staff.
Travel to Brannel School for the afternoon session. Arrive by 12pm for lunch at the school.
Brannel School, 13:00 – 15:00
Led by Marc Cooper, Deputy Head.
Grit Questionnaire – Marc will lead a session on the Grit Questionnaire that is a study that Angela Duckworth, Professor of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania which is on grit and self-control, two attributes that are distinct from IQ and yet powerfully predict success and well-being. This tool can then be taken by teachers back to students to help them assess if they have a Growth Mindset.
Delegates will then be taken on the ‘Brannel Challenge Learning Walk’ to observe how the school are using GMS in the classroom.
Best practice Session – Sharing best practise is the best way for us to help create a culture of sharing and a Growth Mindset within the Education staff in Cornwall. Delegates will be expected to come prepared to deliver a presentation of no more than 3 slides for 3 minutes and their own practice and approach at their school or college.
Outcome from the day: what will delegates take away from the day:
- GMS seen it in practice in two separate GMS embedded schools
- shown how to weave the practice into their schools as a whole school approach
- information on monitoring and tracking
- 2 student focused tools: Pack Type cards and Grit questionnaire
- practical approaches to link to their own school improvement plans.